back to article All my personal details for chocolate? Go on then

When I explain what I do to Spanish friends and neighbours in my faltering Castilian, people often ask me about malicious hackers. It's very often hard to explain that the viruses they receive in their email are most likely random attacks. A PC is, after all, very personal so it's easy to symphatise with people who take cyber- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Oakley

Sure, my name is, erm... Ivor Bigunn

I'll happily give you personal information in return for chocolate, or even just the chance of chocolate. My name is Ivor Bigunn, and I live at number 6 Uphill Gardens...

The story should be headlined "People Make Up False Details To Con Stupid Market Research Agencies Out Of Chocolate".

2. Tristan

Faked

Surely this should read:

81% of people either handed over their identity for the chance to win clocolate, or were awake enough to realise that they could make up details and still win chocolate. As we didn't verify these details we we don't actually know how many people just made them up on the spot.

Now... someone walks up to me in the street and asks for my password inexchange for chocolate. I have three choices:

1) hand over the password, which I most likely use for everything from my bank account to my screensaver

2) Refuse, and not get chocolate

3) Make something vaguely plausible up, and get chocolate anyway.

3. Jim Crawley

Ohhh.

Matthew Kramer, 05/02/1977, Kabowski. First comment and all the details mentioned in the article*, what did I win?

(* May or may not be completely made up)

4. Les

Of course, nobody ever lies....

Would I give personal details[1] for the chance of free chocolate? Well, it depends on the quality of the chocolate.

Would I give *real* personal details? Quite probably not.

[1] Makes a change from passwords, which is what people usually want in exchange for chocolate. Offer me enough decent chocolate and I'll give you *loads* of passwords. Not current or real ones, of course....

This topic is closed for new posts.