back to article Linux malware for iPods poses little risk

Virus hunters have discovered what's described as the first malware designed to infect iPod portable media players. Podloso is a proof of concept program which poses no immediate threat beyond illustrating the point that VXers are always on the hunt for new platforms to infect. The "malware" is a file which can be launched …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Clay Garland

Wow.

It seems that people will try to infect anything that even casually brushes up against Apple's operating system. So much bollocks running around, hard to know the real risks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virus?

Basically, someone came up with a script which echo's the message "You are infected with Oslo the first iPodLinux Virus" when specifically executed by the user? Lock up your daughters!!

3. Chris

Re: Wow.

Anyone can see that this has absolutely zero to do with the ipod being an Apple product. VXers don't give a damn who makes what. What it does have to do with is a high-profile target. If they can design a trojan or virus that can successfully infect the ipod and spread, then that is a very valuable and profitable trojan/virus, regardless of who makes the target device. It's all about quantity and target saturation, not manufacturer or brand name.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some people have too much time on their hands...

Okay, at first - since I've got a pair of iPods - I was worried. Then I read "providing (and only if) Linux has been installed". Well I don't know about other folks, but I don't actually run Linux on my iPods - tend to use them for playing MP3's! ;)

So what we have here is a virus that only effects people who've already hacked their iPod's to use them for something more than the makers intended. I would have thought that these were exactly the kind of folk who'd know enough to spot this one coming and squelch it.

All in all, a very, very lame attempt, and it's probably of more note because it's a Linux virus...

5. andywebsdale

Kaspersky must be desparate

to get their name in the media - I'm sure they realise that many iPod owners have very little technical knowledge & will be worried by this new "threat".

Maybe they''l release an iPod version of their anti-virus product...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like