back to article Windows Media Player sends music site silent

A music-sharing site popular with small and independent artists is suspending operations because of incompatibilities with Microsoft's latest version of Windows Media Player. Weedshare, home to 10,000 musicians and 100,000 tracks, will go offline next week after four years because Windows Media Player 11 does not play music …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Roper

Good riddance!

Looks like Microsoft got something right at last! It seems to me that a system that a) tracks what you listen to and b) sneakily starts billing you after a number of listens, is a system that does not deserve to live anyway. Pay-per-listen is nothing more than pure, rank greed - once I have a tune on my computer, I don't want to have to worry about what it's costing me every time I play it. What if I'm half-way through a track and the phone rings? That listen is ruined, but I still have to pay. Or what if I have to skip through several tracks, listening to a few seconds of each one, looking for a particular passage? I have to pay for all of them, even though I'm only really listening to one. They can stick that idea where the sun don't shine with spikes on!

Not to mention the blatant violation of privacy that occurs when companies like Weedshare can build profiles of their audience's listening habits, attach those profiles to a real identity (by virtue of extracting payment from them) and possibly sell those profiles to advertisers who'd then spam me with the likes of "Hello Steve, heard you like [insert artist here] trax! Well, have we got an awesome deal for you..." While I accept that advertising is an essential part of business, I point-blank refuse to buy anything where an advertising company has used profiling and calculated psychology to try to mind-bend me into buying something I might not normally buy. Even if it IS something I really want, cheaper than anywhere else. I'll buy it somewhere else, dearer if need be, from someone whose business is sales, not mind control.

So if Microsoft's new media player excludes con-artists like Weedshare from sneaky enticement and billing practices, and prevents them from building psych-manipulation profiles of their customers, I'm all for it. All my music is MP3, and all my video is XviD AVI, to which I convert any other formats I get. Nothing else. That way, I know I can do what I want with my files and don't have to worry about nasty surprises down the track.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HAR HAR HAR!

"inserts its own information into the music's tracking data" DRM?

Microsoft's security improvements in Microsoft to WMP 11" DRM?

Engineer hoist with his own petard?

3. Andrew Abbass

Missing the Point

I used to work for this company. I'm vocally cut my ties in response to the closure. I'm a Canadian and think the technology that backs this corporation would be better off in the hands of a non-profit public agency like CBC.

Their tracking data only links to email addresses. Everything remains anonymous. The tracking data is what allows customers to earn money through file sharing.

Imagine a YouTube where people could produce professional videos and have them up for sale in a easily accessible digital format in a day.

The DRM Revolution isn't over... it's just in it's beta version.

There is one additional benefit being overlooked by this system in all the issues with DRM. This is the only system that allows for a new form of 'music store on a CD' revolutionizes the CD format and makes it more efficent.

Compiling 10 times as many bands onto one CD means that you've cut your plastic and materials usage by 90 percent. Reducing the Recording Industries reliance on petroleum for plastic by that much would be a great step forwards for the Green Movement.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bullshit

They never rolled out a Vista fix.

The whole system worked fine with Winamp and RealPlayer and RealJukebox.

A lot of people invested a lot of time and money in this program and SML is just cutting their losses and running.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

‘Windows Media Player sends music site silent’

Meda player 11?

Who the hell needs that???

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like