back to article Boffins working on RFID super-shield

A group of Dutch researchers at Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, led by PhD student Melanie Rieback, is building RFID Guardian, a personal RFID firewall to allow individuals to monitor and control access to RFID tags. Rieback presented the latest results of the project to build the prototype at last week's Emerging Technology …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dennis SMith

RFID Tags

If I was worried about a piece of clothing or some other non-electronic item having a chip that would expose any data I wanted withheld to casual probing, I'd just toss it in a microwave for a few seconds. Viola, no more functional RFID tag!

2. Simon Hayes

Verichip, RFID for Humans

The problem is, if you have an RFID injected under the skin, you can't throw it in the Bin, much as you might like to.

www. notafreemason. com/content2-04.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nuts

If anyone from the general public had any idea what they are talking about when it comes to RFID tags, I'd be highly surprised.

An RFID tag will be as easy to remove from a garment as a price tag or bar code.

Any speculation that a manufacturer would embed such tags in the fabric of a garment really has no basis in reality - it'd be commercial suicide. As for carrying scanners around to scan passers by and find find out whether passers-by are wearing Agent Provocateur undies.... ROFL (if it wasn't so sad).

4. Dillon Pyron

Microwave vs hammer

Dennis, a brilliant technological solution. For passports, I suggest the recently posited Hammer Time method. A one pound (half kilo) hammer on a board laying on top of the passport won't leave a mark on the outside. It does make a mess of those thongs, however.

dillon, in slightly warmer Tejas (at least it's not snowing)

5. Ron Luther

Spoof?

Nice, but I think I will hold out for the version that will allow me to spoof RFID tags and transmit false positives. That will be *much* more fun!

Maliciously yours,

RonL.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like