back to article Google bugles death of Froogle

Google's punning department suffered a blow today, when the powers that be in Mountain View decided that Froogle, the giant's damp squib shopping comparison site, should have a less silly name. It'll henceforth be known by the more anodyne corporate monicker Google Product Search. Froogle launched in 2002, but the link from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moogly

I think that Google should open a musical instrument shop called Boogle, that sells bugles. And a clothing shop called Coogle, that would have special offers on cagoules. Or a dance music shop called Boogle-Woogle that throbs with life. Or they should rename YouTube so that it becomes Yoogle-tube. Or they could have a shop that called Foogle, I don't know what it would sell. I can think of hundreds of examples, and I will write them down.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a shame...

While I understand that non-English speaking countries would miss the point, it's very sad that people don't understand that Froogle is a decent pun/play-on-words.

3. Rob

You are joking

"While I understand that non-English speaking countries would miss the point, it's very sad that people don't understand that Froogle is a decent pun/play-on-words."

Non-english speaking countries!! Most of the youth today in the UK wouldn't understand it either and that's nothing to do with cross culture, it's to do with the fact that most of our youth are just generally thick, thanks for that MTV, YouTube and such like.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh no!

What would this mean for www.cthuugle.com?

5. Jason Togneri

He isn't joking

I believe that's entirely the point - I teach English as a foreign language in a non-English speaking country, and when the internet and Google inevitably come up, or when we're doing financial terms (a large segment of the customer base are businesspeople), often I mention Froogle/frugal, and it has to be explained. That's perfectly understandable. Then I meet some of my native-English speaking friends and frankly, I have to do the whole lesson again with them. It's sad.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The ideal service..

..for the thick, illiterate youth..

Cloogle - where they can search for that clue that they are lacking.

It'd be handy for government ministers too, mind.

7. Jason

Corporate slide....

The demise of the Froogle name is nothing much to worry about - but the replacement, oh my, oh my! The first signs that corporitism is taking over perhaps?? Just compare the new name to some of the old Google features, and notice the slide to mainstream:

Google

Froogle

Gmail

Google Blog

Google Earth

Google Images

Now "Google Product Search" !

It's now 3 words, and sounds about as interesting to visit as the dentist. What next, "Google Productivity Applications Suite" ????!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a damp squib ? Well I never knew, but I guess I'll carry on using it anyway.

As for the name change, just another daft marketing decision, preumably done in another attempt to justify their existence . "Oh we have a catchy name, can't have that, better change it for something boring."

This topic is closed for new posts.