back to article Counter Strike firm in credit card hack claim

Valve Software, the company behind Counter Strike and Half Life, has been accused of covering up a hack of its servers which allegedly exposed the credit card details of thousands of customers. A hacker calling himself MaddoxX has trumpeted details of the claimed break-in on his website, and threatened to publish more credit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dillon Pyron

With games like that ...

One would think that with games like that, they would have teams to do "wet work".

OTOH, they better have a team of lawyers, because this is going to get very nasty. Is Valve located in the US or have servers in the US? They may well be in violation of California laws, as well as those of other states.

dillon in Tejas, recipient of three letters from CA companies.

2. Tzvetan Mikov

Valve never learns

Surely this is the first time they have been hacked ? No ? Somebody hacked their servers before and released the Half Life source on the net ? :-)

It is touching to see how greatly Valve have improved their security after the first incident.

BTW, I have sworn to never use Valve products while they continue to _require_ Internet connection for a single player game. You purchase a game, but you do not own it because it must "activated" _periodically_ over the Internet.

Now I sure am glad that they don't have my credit card info on their servers :-)

3. Morten Ranulf Clausen

Not surprising

Valve is a bunch of arrogant bastards and have NEVER informed customers about problems, nor have they ever taken problem reports very seriously. Hackable Steam accounts? Uhuh, not possible. Downtime? How sad. Account problems? Figure it out yourselves. I suggest a class action suit just to teach them about the value of information and customer support, as in "give it to your customers or suffer".

4. James Cleveland

Re: Valve never learns

I'm sorry Tzvetan Mikov, you know nothing.

Their Source code leak was an internal leak which got spread to bittorrent. This appears to be an attack on their billing systems and is completely different.

To be quite honest, I am glad that they have steam - getting every update to half life was become an epic pain in the ass, especially when the only content providers were gamespy (whine whine buy gamespy pro whine) and a few others.

Now we get patches automatically added to our installations, our games constantly kept up to date - the ability to install a game without having a CD or needing a CD - a copy protection system that is remotely hard to crack so legit customers aren't rewarded with a load of warez kiddies boasting about how they downloaded things off limewire.

Steam is a damn good thing, it just needs a little rethinking and bug fixing in places (especially offline play - however 90% of people have a working offline mode anyway).

Valve are a company that despite their flaws, support their games for a longer time than I've seen possible. What, CS is based on the quake ONE engine - that is a LONG time ago - most other producers who have made their games then have stopped updating completely.

Valve are so easy to complain about. - it is remarkable that they've only had these few leaks/hacks, what with the amount of players and hackers that probably buzz around their servers daily.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Steam, it's bollocks!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)

This is all that needs to be said.

This topic is closed for new posts.