The Channel logo

back to article IBM claims self-assembling chip leap

IBM's highly boffinated research division delivered today when the firm said it would be first to deploy self-assembly microchip nanotechnology on an industrial scale. The self-assembling material can be coaxed by a scaffold to form vacuum cavities, which improve electrical transmission by reducing transmission between …

This topic is closed for new posts.

Indeed :)

Anonymous Coward

"lithographic manufacturing techniques, where copper wiring has to be masked with insulating material before lasers etch away."

Umm... I think you need to brush up on your semiconductor manufacturing techniques. Etching is done with plasma or wet chemical processes - not lasers. Copper isn't etched anyway. The normal method is called the (dual) damascene process.

Much as I hate referencing wikipedia - this is a descent introduction:

Silver badge

Self-assembling, eh ?

And the next step will obviously be self-programming, followed by self-awareness, and then we'll have a major issue on our hands.

I think I'd prefer lizard overlords to robot ones - robots have no emotions to appeal to.

Anonymous Coward

Lizard Overlords

may be a worse choice since they would also be short on the emotions end of things.

They also have a high tendency for protein based diets with no qualms on the source of the protein.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Frank Jennings

What do you do? Use manual typwriters or live in a Scottish croft? Our man advises
A rusty petrol pump at an abandoned gas station. Pic by Silvia B. Jakiello via shutterstock

Trevor Pott

Among other things, Active Directory needs an overhaul
Baby looks taken aback/shocked/affronted. Photo by Shutterstock

Kat Hall

Plans for 2 million FTTP connections in next four years 'not enough'
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Suit-and-tie-wearing man tries to meditate, take deep breaths in faux yoga pose. Photo by Shutterstock
Emotional intelligence, not tech skills, is the way to woo suits
League of gentlemen poster - Tubbs and Edward at the local shop. Copyright BBC
One reselling man tells his tale of woe