back to article Microsoft misses performance and scale goals with Viridian – Microsoft

Viridian has gone on the Redmond Diet with Microsoft today ripping some of its most exciting planned features out of the virtualization software. In April, Microsoft's GM in charge of Viridian Mike Neil revealed that the company would have to delay the software's beta release from the first half of 2007 to the second half. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

16 cores is a limit..

Ok so 4 socket servers 4 core chips..

So my Sun Galaxy boxes are out of luck... with Barcelona.

And I bet when Intel reintroduce hyperthreading on these boxes: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/02/intel_bloomfield_to_debut_lga1366/

we'll need 32 core support..

IBM's X series and UNisys ES7000's are out of luck...

Oh well if it actually ships when they say it will - we'll see how it works of course the competition aren't standing still either...

Simon.

2. Andy Bright

Hey it's cheap stuff

And you get what you pay for. The Microsoft stuff is cheap, proper virtualisation costs more, a lot more. It's a question of what you can away with, and what you can try to predict you'll need in the future.

I can't get away with Microsoft's virtualisation software, I need VMware - but I can see how the low price point would be attractive to those that don't need more than half of what VMware offers.

3. Demian Phillips

Proper virtualization?

On IBM gear (even low end 505 machines) Dynamic partitioning operations are possible out of the box (as long as you have a Hardware Management Console). AIX 5 partitions can have dynamic allocation/deallocation/movement of processors, memory and PCI slots.

4. Jeff Stacey

Power6

Just wait until July when Power6 arrives. You will have the ability to migrate running Logical Partitions between servers.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like