back to article Red Hat sees GOD

Red Hat confused world+dog yesterday by dishing out two, new desktop visions, while trying to catch both projects with the same glove. So, let's try and clean up the mess. On the visionary front, Red Hat has started discussing something called the Online Desktop. Red Hat claims that this software will rewrite the client market …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

when worlds collide

"What's clear to us ... is that ... Global Desktop rips out features so that small businesses and governments can purchase cheapish Linux-based systems. [Online Desktop] goes at ... the server-based app shift with all their hearts. These two worlds just do not meet"

You really don't want to be at the summit do you? Maybe next year someone else that's willing to think about these things with an open mind will be able to go instead and you can stay home and play with your choice of distro.

The combination of these two worlds is a goal for which IT people and groupware often strive. Networked apps, dynamic user discovery and multiple ways to connect them, networked data storage - doesn't work in a business environment? Try to imagine centralized storage and processing ... now a users machine failure can be replaced with new hardware in a blink and the user doesn't loose anything.

And don't go slamming RedHat about hype after quoting a developers personal blog unless you're just looking to get more non-anonymous bloggers fired.

Humph, I thought I liked The Reg

2. Ashlee Vance (Written by Reg staff)

World Boy

Open mind? I wrote three stories about this desktop business, trying to make sure all the angles were covered. Believe me, Red Hat's vagueness did not make that easy.

Beyond that, I love being at the Red Hat Summit. What else could you ask for than 1,400 nerdy dudes nerding each other for the good of the common man?

If I had any idea what, "And don't go slamming RedHat about hype after quoting a developers personal blog unless you're just looking to get more non-anonymous bloggers fired." meant, I would respond to that too.

AV

www.theduckrabbit.com

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like