back to article IBM, HP dominate server market

IBM squeaked by Hewlett-Packard to maintain its top position in worldwide server revenue during the first quarter this year, according to a new report. Technology research firm Gartner said today, while both companies relied on an x86 server sales rebound from the fourth quarter of 2006, IBM enjoyed a 14.3 per cent boost of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Webster Phreaky

NOTICE? Apple a NON Starter!! Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ....

With all the hype and BS about G5 (now MacIntel) X Server Superiority claims Apple never broke the 1/2 of 1% market share mark.

Stevie Gods, you're great at smoke n mirrors - and as always, a sack full of crap for substance.

2. James Anderson

Market share != Technical Merit

" Apple never broke the 1/2 of 1% market share "

By that logic General Moters must make much better cars than BMW.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BMW hardly a good analogy

"By that logic General Moters must make much better cars than BMW."

Being as the Ford Mondeo outsells the Vectra in Europe and the BMW 3 Series outsells the Mondeo it's hardly a good analogy.

4. Jack Pastor

Servers, anyone ??

Excuse me ?? This is the SERVER market !!! How many people buy Apple SERVERS ??

Interesting that HP seems to SHIP more and IBM has greater revenue. I guess IBM charges more for their servers. Then again, I guess they call mainframes servers these days as well.

I'd sure like to see this broken out by platform.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mainframes are servers too!

If a mainframe isn't a server what is it? I pretty much think that they have always been called servers, and so have their iSeries and pSeries boxes.

6. Jack Pastor

Mainframes used to just be called COMPUTERS !!

Some of us still remember a time before the PDP-8. When MINIcomputers arrived, mainframes then became known as MAINFRAMES to distinguish themselves from their smaller, departmental brethren.

When MICROcomputers arrrived, there was an 8-bit/ 16-bit / 32-bit breakdown, but nothing was called a SERVER until the early 80's and the early networking involved user PCs which became called CLIENTS in the early CLIENT-SERVER architectures. Prior to this period, TERMINALS talked to the computer, and there was no concept of a "client."

This is when APPLICATIONS began running on SERVERS (where previously they just did file and print duty.) Netware ran code as "loadable modules" but it was NT that really sealed the deal.

This well predates the ISeries and pSeries, and Zseries.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like