back to article Desperately seeking WLAN apps for London

City wireless LAN pioneer Westminster City Council has kicked off a competition to find new applications to run on its planned city-wide Wi-Fi network. Along with sponsors BT and Vertex, it is offering prizes of £1,000 in each of three categories: Wireless Living to improve the daily life of individuals, Wireless Neighbourhood …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How should I monetize an invention?

I have this great idea for a killer app, right on the bleeding edge of mobile internet data consumption. I'm pretty sure that people will like it so much that it will actually encourage them to buy the hardware to use it and that use of the service will significantly drive up wi-fi bandwdith consumption.

How should I make money from this once-in-a-lifetime spark of insight? Raise venture capital and start a company? Sell the IP to some interested tech company? No, wait, I'll give it free to BT and there's a slim chance that I'll win £1000

2. Tim Pope

You wish you could have my ideas

Well it's a nice idea - 'getting the people to help' but then you realise they are stealing your idea and giving you a poxy £1000... I have some useful ideas including some that would provide revenue from advertisement and subscription - if i as allowed to keep ownership or take a percentage or even be contracted to create/maintain then you could have my entries.

As I see it making some great system for public use in a citywide wlan means a lot of money from ads etc...£20,000 I might consider for possibly a very lucrative market, but £1000 P*** off

Ah well at least now i have another bunch of ideas on my "project list of ideas that i will probably never have time to do and someone else will"...maybe one day *sigh*

3. Dillon Pyron

Great ideas

I have a great idea. So great I'm going to patent it. But not until I leave my crappy job here in a couple of months.

And no, it's not software. Those are c*** patents. Except maybe I'll patent the bubble sort.

But give it to BT (there's no way a Yank is going to win 1000 quid)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like