back to article Pirates Trojan keel-hauls surfers

Spam messages exploiting the publicity surrounding the release of the latest instalment of the Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise are being used to trick users into installing Trojan horse malware. The junk mails feature a message that resembles promotional material for the film alongside links that supposedly point users …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

what is...

a dial up connection?

Surely this trojan is barely more effective than a floppy boot sector virus.

/me dodges slings and arrows of those who still use modems.

Another reason to avoid the virus/trojan/malware propagation utilities m$ markets as IE and Outlook.

2. Mark Allen

Dial-Up Modems

You will be surprised as to how many people still have their old dial-up modems plugged into the wall. Many "home" users haven't got a clue what all the cables are behind their PC, so leave everything plugged in when they upgrade to broadband. Which ends up being a perfect combination for these trojans as the broadband can keep flowing, while the trojan makes it's cash.

3. adnim

plugged in modems

I guess you are right Mark. I am forever over-estimating the tech savvy of the average "home" user. It has been a while, almost 14 months since I was supporting end users. Something I have very cheerfully and willingly forgotten about.

Life & work is a lot less frustrating now.

4. Tim Shields

Penty of dial up modems still out there

Admittedly less people use their dial up modem to access the internet these days but how many people have left the dial up modem connected so they can still fax from the PC?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@adnim

Surely you didn't look through the article carefully. The virus does not exploit any part of M$' IE/OE , but instead relies on the fact that the user is gullible enough to open the e-mail (and of course, is running some form of Window$).

And while many of us have long ditched dial-up modems for broadband, I do know of many who still use modems. i.e. those little old ladies who only use e-mail to stay in touch with their grandchildren or their friends and don't see the fast speeds as necessary, or the underprivilidged college students who live away from home in dorms and have very limited allowance.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. adnim

@anonymous

yes you are right. I did read the article. I just wrongly perceived dial up network connections as part of the IE/OE experience. I accept it is a separate entity.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Social engineering tricks ahoy?

I still believe that anyone who gets suckered into a ploy through social engineering tricks deserves everything they get.

9. huw

social engineering

Isn't it time people had to get a license to own or use a pc, like you do for a car or a motorbike ?

Obviously the scum that produce spam, viruses, trojans et al should be given over to the taliban for stoning practice, but do people still seriously click on anything that offers them a freebie ?

If so, their bloody machines should be confiscated so that they don't continue seeding the web with this shite.

Possibly the RIaa and MPaa and other such leeching organisations should spend their time finding and killing these fuckers instead of going after grannies, kids and dead people.

Obviously, I am not a Guardian reader.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like