back to article OpenSolaris fans in a tizzy over 'Project Copy Linux'

Sun Microsystems has moved one mailing list posting closer to explaining how it plans to mimic the Linux distribution model with OpenSolaris. Developer Glynn Foster, seen here molesting a beer, has described Sun's so-called "Project Indiana" in mostly coherent detail. Sun plans to back a more elaborate delivery mechanism for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. joe_bruin

It's About Time

As an outsider to the Solaris community that's been interested in trying it out, let me say that it's about damn time this happens. If you go to the OpenSolaris web site, all bright eyed and eager to download a new operating system, you will walk away in bitter disappointment. Sure, it says the word "open" in two dozen languages on the web page, but when you go hunting for an installer disk to download, suddenly you are cast into a maze. Nevada builds? What the hell is Nevada? Oh, it's what they're calling the OpenSolaris code base. You'll need to download these components and build them. Well, how do I install it? Oh, you can't do that, you need to have a Solaris machine up already to build on. But you can get started if you go to Sun's site and download their Solaris Express Enterprise Pro Champion Edition (after dutifully registering), and then enjoy that pleasant install experience. And when that's done, you still have the work ahead of you of getting ON (what the hell is that? Oh, OS and Network. Sorry, I don't work at Sun) built and updated. Did I miss anything? We haven't gotten to packages to make the system usable yet.

I just want an ISO that says OpenSolaris and installs THE OpenSolaris system. In a usable state. Then I'll be able to test my apps against it and claim they work. "Well, it runs on Belenix" doesn't quite feel the same, does it?

Ashlee Vance, always the senseless Sun critic (sometimes rightfully so, but more often not) misses the point, as usual, in eagerness to bash Sun. I look forward to downloading this disk when it is available.

2. Robert Grant

If they're going to imitate an OS...

...can it have Debian's package management please? That'd be nice :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Debian package tools

In answer to Robert Grant, it should only have Debian's package manager when crap like aptitude doesn't crash every other time it's run.

4. Peter Kehl

What...?

It would really help if the article was more structured, sentences shorter, and overall if it made sense.

I'm a user of OpenSolaris Community Edition and just a little aware of Indiana. But this article doesn't make any sense to me.

Ashlee, if you want to make a point to other people rather than just to yourself, then it helps to explain things and maybe to say less but more clearly.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Jim Jackson

If they're going to imitate an OS...

...might as well get Arch Linux's package management, Pacman. Actually, why waste time on anything else, just get Arch. Yes, I love it, and yes I think I have finally found a distro worth sticking with.

7. J

Actually...

"First, they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

Red Hat might be using this, but it's actually attributed to a certain famous Indian lad...

Cheers

J

This topic is closed for new posts.