back to article Microsoft puts in Stirling work for unified security Nirvana

Microsoft is prepping a security software suite that will take it deep into Symantec and McAfee heartland. They won't be quaking in their boots just yet: the suite, called Stirling, hits the streets in 2009, at the earliest. Stirling integrates Microsoft's anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering software, Internet Security …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nexox Enigma

Wrong way around?

Does it seem to anyone else that MS would have an easier time reimplimenting all of their APIs on BSD rather than try to secure their kernel &etc?

Obviously both are monumental tasks, but it just seems to make sense to start with something that works and make it work for you rather than start with something broken and do it.

Wonder when they'll finally figure out that NT should have died out years ago. My bet is on 'not nearly soon enough.'

2. Chad H.

they're still trying that security stuff?

One would have thought given the reception, and reviews of their last security suite, MS would have just simply given up on it... I dont think there was a test it couldnt fail.

Security software is something you have to get right first time and every time, any hint of inadequacy or lack of stability is enough to get your customers to swap to another suite...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Yay ! Way to go Microsoft !

Brilliant idea there. Putting everything in the same basket - it really does simplify the life for all those hackers out there that are just begging for a new chance to ridicule you.

And given the stellar performance you have up to now when it comes to securely programming vast amounts of code for complex projects, I fail to see how this can be interpreted in any other manner than "giving your enemy the stick to beat you with".

Oh well, I suppose you have to do SOMETHING to occupy all those millions of admins in the world. And you have top grades in that area, no doubt about it.

This topic is closed for new posts.