back to article New site marries Google, Yahoo!

Ever feel the need to search Google and Yahoo! at the same time? A new site from IdeaLabz and the Toll Free Yellow Pages lets you do just that, delivering search results from Google and Yahoo! in split-screen format. Despite the companies’ claims, SearchBoth.com isn’t the first site to marry the web’s two most popular search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson

Goggle

Goggle?

2. Morely Dotes

What?

"Ever feel the need to search Google and Yahoo! at the same time?"

About as often as I feel the need to pour camel urine in my tea, actually.

Google's ads (aka "sponsored links") are easy to identify and easy to ignore. Yahoo's ads are pervasive, and disguised - and their search engine is prone to delivery of more irrelevant results than relevant.

In the past I used Dogpile, but I've found in recent years that Google gives me what I need with a minimum of fuss and very little "hey, buy this" crap, so I've switched to a direct Google search. It was Google results I always used from Dogpile anyway. I've simply cut out the middleman.

3. Rufus

All4One - ten years ago!

I remember being introduced to All4One some time ago which searched Yahoo, Lycos, Altavista and Webcrawler and display the results in 4 resizeable panes using a frameset!

Wow, things have really progressed in 10 years!

Rufus.

4. Alan

AfterVote

http://aftervote.com brings Google, MSN and Yahoo together in search results. Very nice site as well.

5. Alan

AfterVote

http://aftervote.com/ integrates Google, Yahoo, MSN, and more

6. David Benoit

Metacrawler.com

Probably the first, and still there.

I don't really understand how this gets so much hype. At least Metacrawler and All4One consolodate the results. searchboth is one click more convenient than having two windows open... because it just opens two frames.

7. Hate2Register

Google do Yahoo's results anyway..

It's true, as well you know, you sneeks, that Google do Yahoo's search results. So searching on yahoo is just like searching on google.

Or goggle, as you like to spell it in your article.

Well done, you've surpassed yourself this time.

Yawn

8. Robin

re: Goggle

Haven't you heard of Goggle? It's a search engine specially made for us myopic IT workers.

9. Robert Grant

Google wins

http://www.searchboth.com/Web/searchboth/

Better results from Google :)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: All4One

All4One, metacrawler... a long time since.

Heh, we're just getting old.

11. JR

Huh?

Did I really waste 5 minutes of my life reading about this?

I could've spent that 5 mins making a clone of this site in PHP: that's 2 minutes to make the website and 3 minutes to email the register for some free marketing...

12. A. Lewis

That's just really annoying...

The way the frames sizes change on mouseover. That's a terrible bit of interface design.

As pointed out though, this isn't by any means the first, and certainly not the best, site to attempt this.

13. Phil

Form, substance

It seems all the development effort is going into repackaging existing the search engines to make the results look pretty. Is anyone actually thinking about making a better engine, or is Google as good as it gets?

14. Rob Farnell

Google don't provide Yahoo's search results

Hate2Register-

It's true, as well you know, you sneeks, that Google do Yahoo's search results. So searching on yahoo is just like searching on google.

-

This is no longer true. In around 2004 Yahoo bought Overture who owned AllTheWeb and Altavista and also bought Inktomi incorporated their results as well as the Yahoo Bots to scour the Internet.

15. Phil Vickers

No advanced search !

Except for metacrawler (thanks David) none of these sites offer a GUI for stuff like domain, excluded words and the like. Unless I missed something.

When did anyone ever do a search without "advanced" options ?

16. PETER FREDERIKS

Ever feel the need to search Google and Yahoo! at the same time?

No.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like