back to article About those 844 security breaches... 'fess up, Congress tells DHS

At Department of Homeland Security, we will lead the unified national effort to secure America. We will prevent and deter terrorist attacks and protec — Hey, hot deals on mortgages and penis enlargement pills? I'd be crazy not to click this executable! Congress put Homeland Security's chief information officer Scott Charbo to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love the term "data spillage"

Hmmm... "Data Spillage"... reminds me of an article from years ago which described how developers loved the term "bugs" as it conjured up an image of small things that crawled into your code - possibly overnight when no-one was watching - and that just had to be found the next day and removed. The suggestion was that if the term was "Massive F**k-Up" - or MFU for short - people would treat them a bit more seriously.

"Data Spillage" makes it sound like the sort of unavoidable - although regrettable - thing that happens when you copy data around. Ooops, just spilled a little bit of data, better just mop that up!

2. Chad H.

The next action for the DHS is...

Well, if my knowledge of Humfrey-Applebyism is up to snuff... My bet the next move of the DHS is to investigate secuirty breaces at congress.... Wont that be a fun read?

3. Dillon Pyron

Blackhat/DEFCON

Last year there were at least a dozen DHS people at Blackhat and DEFCON. Most had no idea what was going on. Perhaps it was because they didn't send IT people, but instead counterterrorism "subject matter experts". When it came to Spot the Fed, they were like shooting fish in a barrel. The Feebs were harder to spot, and they were pegged by the end of day one. DHS is all about bombs and can't get a focus on their own systems.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data spillage???

God save our beloved Homeland Security - I feel so safe knowing that the dta spillage was only minor -

5. Nick Leverton

"Data Spillage"

Sounds unfortunately parallel to "Semen spillage"

Ooo did i say that ? ...

6. Walter Brown

Finally?!...But just a tad bit late...

its nice to see some accountability focused in the right direction, not at the opportunists who take advantage of the bank vault left unlocked, but at the jackass who forgot to lock the vault or was too stupid to know how...

2 years tho? seriously it took 2 years and 844 lapses in security for congress to get involved... unreal.. and its congress who is investigating, so you know you without a doubt that pooch will get screwed...

This topic is closed for new posts.