back to article Trusted storage specs near completion

The Trusted Computing Group has finalized a draft specification for implementing encryption and security services directly onto future storage devices. The specification was developed by more than 60 of TCG's 175 member companies and supports security services for a number of storage platforms including hard drives, flash, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew McPherson

Specs not to be trusted

It should be noted that the specs are based on weak american (exportable) encryption and should not be trusted to provide secure storage in the event of a device being compromised.

I should note that I am working on an encryption product that is very secure, to the extent that I'm not able to (legally) export it from New Zealand or Australia.

The simple way to do trusted storage (as in my system) is to use a bluetooth dongle pair. Run the encryption server on the dongle and hook into the usb cable end with the storage. The chips are on the dongle and cable, which are easy to make unique keys.

You may ask why that's better than the proposed spec? Because you can take the storage with you if you have homework, you don't need a special computer and you can still be safe.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like