back to article Comet goes head-to-head with Geek Squad

Comet has bumped up its eagerness to offer IT support to UK home users and small businesses, with the nationwide launch today of its "Comet On Call" service. The electrical retailer, which has 250 stores throughout Britain, has been quietly operating the service since March 2007 in Bristol, Oxford, Banbury and Hereford. But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PC World has...

... "The Tech Guys in store," according to a TV ad I failed to avoid last week sometime.

2. Mike Campbell

Progression

Personally I think it's really nice that employers are providing a career path for the McDonald's generation, how considerate.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No bad thing

The more technical amongst us shouldn't knock these efforts. I can now charge for my services when people ask without getting shocked and pained looks. I happily undercut these "expert" services and still make some good beer tokens on the side.

And if folk don't want to pay me? I send 'em to PC Woe. I'll make twice as much when I eventually do have to put it right.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lol

Just another gimmick to make the public feel a little more at ease with computers.

Remember being in a PC world quite local to me when someone came in with a old mac, not sure what it was but he wanted a printer for it, guy looked at it and said 'what version of windows is it running' despite the large multi-coloured apple badge on it.

The owner had no clue and I walked away shaking my head

5. Russell Taylor

Progression

"Personally I think it's really nice that employers are providing a career path for the McDonald's generation, how considerate."

You are the sort of arrogant fool that really annoys me. I am a National Business Development Director for a software Development firm; I worked at Comet throughout university and a couple of years there after. Well let me tell you, the average salary in Comet is well above £25k! Yes that’s right, that’s for a sales advisor, managers can expect to earn anywhere up to £70-£80k, I suggest you may want to look at a change in your career direction. I also suggest you carry on shopping online. I have no time for people like you.

6. Danny Thompson

Head to Head ......?

Unlikely from what I've seen of the technical nous at the stores. For sure, there may be some hot cookies around like our [very aggravated] Mr Taylor. But the general calibre behind the service desk does rather leave one uninspired.

I really cannot see Comet and its peers offering the breadth of service available from the "Geek Squad". But if it wants a go, then hey ho, why not? I've followed up sufficient of their repair efforts to know that its not really any competition to be worried about.

This topic is closed for new posts.