back to article Soggy IT pros check in from flooded Sheffield

We're getting reports of rampant heroism from IT support staff in flooded Sheffield. The city received about two months rainfall in a matter of hours yesterday. Three people have been killed by the floods and thousands forced to leave their homes. Water getting a little too close for comfort ISP Plusnet is based in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Brandwood

My PlusNet connection went down last night.

Yep, I'm with PlusNet, but based up in Leeds, and I lost internet last night, but could have been a co-incidence :)

2. DaveT

Flying Pizzas?

How did they get pizzas in if they couldn't get staff out?

3. Dillon Pyron

If this is global warming

Austin has received more rain in the month of June than we do in June, July and August. We are up considerably over average and hugely up over last year. The lakes are above flood pool (which has nothing to do with flooding). Today it will probably hit 83, the normal is about 95. We've only had one 100 degree day this year.

If this is global warming, I'm buying a Hummer. :-)

http://www.oakhillweather.com An excellent site that shows the weather about a half mile from my house. Run by a neighbor from a weather station at his house.

4. ian

Frisbee Pizza

They said they ordered Pizza. They didn't say they arrived. They've probably done it so they get the "free pizza" credit.

5. Chris Miller

It must be global warming

After all, we hardly ever get any rain in England while the tennis is on at Wimbledon ...

6. Steve

Its a big con

Not the flood, that's real, but I drove past the plusnet offices twice this morning (trying to find a way to my IT based work - which I did), so it's certainly possible for their staff to get there, they just have to be inventive.

On the pizza issue, service was so slow last night that my pizza arrived cold and free, the cold issue was remedied with the microwave.

7. ian

If getting to PlusNet requires initiative

... then their staff won't be able to. In my experience, they couldn't find their arse with both hands and a map.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plus Net ain't that bad...

I've had some very good communications with Plus Net support. I have dealt with one idiot who couldn't be bothered to read my complaint and assumed I am an idiot (he received due abuse...), but the rest were fantastic (...and received thanks).

Now to getting them to stop this slightly OTT bandwidth throttling.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

foad with your Plus Net ain't that bad...

...you are a completely wrong, apart from one correct statement in which your obvious inability to accept the sadness of your empty life causing your 'idiot' displacement activities.

grow up get a life you sad man, and stop 'dealing with' customer service assistants in call centres who probably never did you any real harm alone.

> have dealt with one idiot who couldn't be bothered to read my complaint and > assumed I am an idiot (he received due abuse...), but the rest were

> fantastic (...and received thanks).

hope you understand that one day you will pick on the wrong 'idiot'.

further, WRT your bandwidth issue, I hope you discover the meaning of the word displacement in this context and make all our lives easier by kicking away the chair.

10. Nick

who is this fool?

> ...you are a completely wrong

<snip>

a completely wrong what?

> grow up get a life you sad man, and stop 'dealing with' customer service assistants in call centres who probably never did you any real harm alone.

Except not dealing with the problem. Those of us who have mastered reading noted that he mentioned one person who was less than helpful (so got the verbal equivalent of cloobat upside the head) and other people who were helpful, so got praise. The pertinent part is mentioned below

>> have dealt with one idiot who couldn't be bothered to read my complaint and > assumed I am an idiot (he received due abuse...), but the rest were

>> fantastic (...and received thanks).

> hope you understand that one day you will pick on the wrong 'idiot'.

like yourself, maybe?

further, WRT your bandwidth issue, I hope you discover the meaning of the word displacement in this context and make all our lives easier by kicking away the chair.

oh, you're a comedian now...no-one in their right mind jokes about that, no matter how pathetic they are. I notice this was an anonymous post...says it all really, methinks...

11. Neil Woolford

Preserve *our* bandwidth please moderators...

... by kicking the obvious and lame troll.

12. ian

Is that you, Rufus?

Is that you, Rufus? Are you working at PlusNet now?

13. Michael Corkery

Rufus? Speak to us Rufus!

</seance>

regards the "completely worng" (?!?), I think he's right to give criticism or praise. Anyone who deals with the public will tell you that praise is rare enough - most people assume good service - fair enough - but everyone likes to have their work appreciated.

Regards free pizza... mmmmm.... free pizza....

and regards the rain, it came down in dublin last friday like nothing I'd seen. I was in viet nam last year while monsoons were swinging around china, so we caught the tail of it - but that's what it was like! Flooding and roads closed. While it may make for better weather in the USA, they'd want to cop on, as it's getting dangerous for those of us not on one large landmass

This topic is closed for new posts.