back to article Lawmakers worry over government network breaches

Long an afterthought for U.S. lawmakers, cybersecurity has received renewed attention in some parts of Congress. Last Wednesday, a U.S. House of Representatives' subcommittee took the chief information officer of the Department of Homeland Security, Scott Charbo, to task for allowing 844 significant cybersecurity incidents in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris

This makes me soo much better...

...about the deal that the EU has struck with the US:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6246938.stm

So, that's FIFTEEN years that my personal data will be stored on these trojan-ridden computers. Oh, goody!

2. Simon Greenwood

There's an obvious answer of course

Make it illegal to know about any security breaches in government systems. Job done.

3. Dillon Pyron

DHS have not a clue

In 2002 the head of DHS cybersecurity made a presentation at the Black Hat Briefings and Seminars. He had some interesting things to say, but didn't really say anything that inspired confidence.

DHS had six people at DEFCON that weekend. They were the people wearing the suits. The Feebs were wearing kahkis. The CIA had shorts and sandals, but were wearing black t-shirts with the CIA seal on them. Only one NSA got pegged.

DHS has some good people working for them. I know a few. The problem is, there are only a few. They are so concentrated on massive attacks on the infrastructure and can't view the small attacks as an issue. If someone gets in and steals our intelligence reports on China, ho hum. Just as long as they didn't turn off the power to NYC.

This topic is closed for new posts.