back to article Collaborators offered pre-built SharePoint app

A British software company is claiming that it can deliver a basic but fully working Microsoft SharePoint collaboration system in as little as an hour, and without the customer needing to buy SharePoint client access licences (CALs). "We have built over 100 SharePoint projects and found that 70 to 80 percent was common - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob

Wow

That sounds great and yes it's about 2/3rds of the cost taking into account consultancy fees as well.

You shouldn't just be concentrating on the SMB market either, check out the education sector, they would love that sort of intranet technology especially at 2/3rds the cost of a MS Sharepoint Server install and setup.

Shame this wasn't around awhile back the FE college I currently work for would have liked the cost savings (more to the point I would have liked the cost savings, my budget was stone dead after implementing the full cost MS version, no new toys for me this financial year, roll on August).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ok I can see that...

You can download and install SP3 with loads of templates and use of them is covered with your win2k3 CALs. If you want to use a web farm then you need SQL server (and CALs), but otherwise use the special edition of SQL server that comes with SP3. If you have an IT dept it's fairly easy to do.

Therefore the £15K for the servers (and s/w) + £20 to £50 for user CALs is about right if you get someone in to do it.

3. Rich Gibbons

15K?!?!

MOSS 2007 is about 4-5K for a server licence..and that's for Corporate. For an Academic institution it's a LOT cheaper than that..so I'm a bit confused?!

This topic is closed for new posts.