back to article Heathrow to trial RFID tags

In September, Heathrow Airport will become the largest in Europe to trial RFID-based tags for tracking passenger luggage, comparing accuracy and read rates against their existing barcode-based systems. Radio Frequency Identification tags are a throw-away technology which can be embedded in the labels attached to luggage on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Keith Turner

Helpful?

"Yes Sir, we know exactly where your bags are. Next to the toothpaste in Tesco's. We labeled them as 'dental floss' by mistake."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At last

At last an actual use for RFID that helps the consumer.

But wouldnt it be better to let us stick an rfid tag inside the bag (as the external tags can get ripped off or damaged), surely they will still read ok when placed inside?

They would record the number by scanning the bag as they weigh it.

Won't stop them losing them or forgetting to put them on a flight, but at least we'll know where they are.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warwick?

This should keep Captain Cyborg out of our hair for a bit if every time he goes through Heathrow he ends up neatly packed, tagged and wrapped in clingfilm on a shelf in the Lost Luggage store.

Things are looking up.

TeeCee

4. Andrew Beardsley

"update the information stored on the tag without recourse to a central database."

Surely if the bag gets lost, the information regarding its location needs to be in a central database, rather than just being on the tag on the bag.

5. regadpellagru

Re: "update the information stored on the tag without recourse to a central database."

Unfortunately for passengers, this is the point and goal of the project: to identify the luggage *locally*.

Outside it is my and your problem of chasing up lost luggage !

I can hear them say "Sorry, that was out of the scope of the project".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"update the information stored on the tag without recourse to a central database."

I hope they've got good authentication on there. We wouldn't want anyone changing the details on a luggage tag or boarding pass would we? Tweaking the boarding pass details of the awkward git from the checkin queue is a fairly benign example.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

KLM have done this for a while

OK, so they don't have the best record for lost luggage but KLM have been sending their Flying Blue loyalty card holders luggage tickets with embedded RFID tags for a year or so. Touch wood, I've had my luggage turn up at the intended time and destination without fail since putting this into my hold baggage (8 trips so far, compared to luggage going 'astray' on 2 out of 12 flights last year)

8. Nancy

My favorite tags

I hope this doesn't sound like an advertisement, but I'd like to share some information about the tags I use. Global Bag Tags don't display any of your personal information, only an id number. All of your information, including your travel itinerary, is stored on their database. Give them a look and see what you think.

9. Ian Tunnacliffe

Nothing new here

RFID tags only do what the existing bar coded tags do. The only justification for using them is if they improve the accuracy and reliability of reading them as they pass through the baggage sortation (I know that's a hideous word but it's the one they use) systems - at both ends of the flight. Which is one reason why implementing them in one airport only is of limited value (not completely valueless in a major transfer airport like Heathrow).

Most airlines are still very reluctant to spend the money on these systems as they are yet to be convinced that there is any substantial improvement over bar codes to justify the investment.

This topic is closed for new posts.