back to article Man cuffed over Jamie Oliver email threat

Devon and Cornwall police today confirmed they'd arrested a man in connenction with the Cornwall National Liberation Army (CNLA) threats against celebrity chefs Jamie Oliver and Rick Stein and their Cornwall-based restaurant ventures, news agencies report. The unnamed 36-year-old from Padstow was arrested on 4 July and later …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash

Sounds like a terrorist to me!

Their burning of English holiday homes is akin to a tantruming child drawing on their mum's clothes. Like you'd smack a child to teach him that vandalism is wrong, this guy should spend 5 years sharing a cell with a BNP member.

Cornish History X, anyone?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come home to a real fire...

... buy a holiday home in Wales

3. Matthew

Tragic.

These liberationists are too stupid to even spell their name in Cornish. It's just some losers who feel it's a good reason to burn things.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What did he do wrong?

Since when was threatening Jamie Oliver illegal? I thought it would have been in the public interest to do something about those Sainsbury adverts.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong...

Joking aside, threatening to firebomb someone's business and attack their customers is a pretty serious matter. Maybe the current crop of CNLA are all mouth and no trousers, but unless they're held to account Its only a matter of time before some misguided idiot actually does set something on fire or blow up someone's car.

6. Dillon Pyron

Are they real?

Is the CNLA real, or are they sort of like the Conch Republic in Key West?

Their terrorism seems more along the lines of PETA than ETA.

7. Chris Goodchild

Cornish patsies

The CNLA are obviously people with very small willies and failing to gain satisfaction from playing with insignificant parts are looking for other diversions.

I find Jamie Oliver only slightly more entertaining than tooth ache but I wouldn't have thought even denying school kids burger and chips diets would mean he deserves to have his house, car, customers and restaurant burnt.

Also I bet the rise in Cornish house prices has more to do with money grabbing Cornish estate agents than Jamie and Paddy. If it wasn't for grockles and bloody Londoners with money going to Cornwall the Cornish would still be wearing leather hats with candles on them and digging tin from radioactive granite.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PETA / ALF

Dillon, I realise that you were probably joking about PETA, but you have to be VERY careful about people who put the lives of animals above those of humans and are prepared to threaten, blackmale, steal boddies of relatives, burn down houses etc. etc. in order to protect the fluffy bunnies.

9. Tim

"Free Wales Army"

I'm concerned by the statement:

"One of our activists was a member of the Free Wales Army"

After having such amazing success in wales after burning hoiday homes I fear cornish tourists will instantly buckle to the fear of the CNLA.

You only have to talk to people in the street to know that wales is NO LONGER a tourist hotspot. How many people do you know with holiday homes in wales now?

After reading this arcticle I am 110% positive that the Free Wales Army is the reason (why else would people not want to live in Wales).

CNLA though - whats the bet their members moved here as kids and call themselves cornish without any actual blood ties. 200:1?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just met his best friend - haha

Yeah, I was at a party on saturday where this guy's best mate (who is a cornish nationalist, and a complete twat) was. He was going on about how cool this guy is and how righteous he is.

I'm all for an independent Cornwall, I love it here, but bloody terrorism.. it's just taking the piss.

11. Simon

A little too ironic

So - they want to get rid of foreigners, but they need to import a Welshman to help them set fire to things.

Morons.

12. Erlang Lacod

milk sheiks

The CNLA dont seem to have a coherent message so its all a bit limp disk . No doubt they are trying hard to imitate the pre Good Friday Agreement IRA at present though when the whiff of shamrock and Semtex wears off they might just claim affinity to Al Quaida -though this brand of terrorism is less likely to be funded by misguided oil sheiks than bewildered Cornish milk shakes.

As the Welsh learned they'd be better off battling for fast broadband connections installed in all rural exchanges to attract more high income home workers rather than towny second homers.

13. Newbunkle

Kick the CNLA out of Cornwall!

The CNLA do not represent the majority of Cornish people. We hate the things they are doing: using vandalism, threats and violence to drive investment and tourism away from the county. They're probably not Cornish at all. Get their sick asses out of our great county.

14. Lloyd

Well

" Are you the Cornwall National Liberation Army?"

"F*** off, we're the National Liberation Army of Cornwall!"

Let's get this straight, they want outsiders "orf moi larnd" and presumably are worried about the contamination of their very limited gene pool. Could we not just feasibly move them all to the Isle of Man?

15. Morten Ranulf Clausen

Interesting...

This puts "Not all muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are muslims" in an interesting light. Clearly false, then. So profiling is now going to include... what? Everyone?

Cheers,

Morten

16. Mister_C

A moment's sympathy

Poor Lewis Page.

A bomb-disposal career dealing with crappy bombers while others got the guts-or-glory stuff.

Now as a journo he getto report on the not-too-good ramraiding terrorists while Leister files copy on the new threat.

My sympathies

MrC

17. Michael Corkery

racism

It's obvious that what the CNLA are doing is wrong, and that's it not speaking for the views of all Cornish at all.

But what I find interesting about these stories is the mild undercurrent of racism it draws out in people's responses.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good grief...

...it's no more racist than me saying I think you're stupid because you've got a big nose.

I think you're stupid because you've got a big nose.

And if these people have got nothing better to do with their sad little lives than to threaten chefs, leave them to it. When are people going to realise that people of such limited genetic material and brain get off on the publicity their brainless actions produce, nothing more. In words of one syllable, they do it for the fame. They do it to impress their mates, and to look hard. They don't care that the rest of the UK thinks they are just a bit sad, they don't care that the rest of the world doesn't know a thing about them. They care that in their village they are the big men, and their friends respect them through some sort of misplaced loyalty, or just downright fear. At that age fear gives you power.

Stein and Oliver are rich enough to hire ten armies to sautee these halfwits into oblivion. Let them have their fight in private and don't make them any more famous than they already are. You're fighting fire with fire here. Stop.

This topic is closed for new posts.