back to article Boeing shows automated spying, flying drone

US death-tech'n'airliners giant Boeing has carried out a spy-fi-esque demonstration of military surveillance technology. During tests in Oregon, flying robot mini-planes stalked suspect vehicles from above without human input, took orders via a mobile phone, and sent video back to the mobile as well. Then they fingered the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Cube

This could make a wrong number rather more serious

Although of course there is the argument that robot killer drones are no more dangerous to civilians or allies than any of the current US A10 pilots, and would at least need an order to kill.

The delicious irony would be for the dept of fatherland security to accidentally key in Cheney's mobile number instead of Osama BL...

2. Rob

"Talk about your flame war"

After that comment, suddenly the humorous "El Reg lobs iPhone at Genius Bar" comments battle takes on some dark undertones.

(Not that I'm worried about iFans subscribing and controlling with their iPhones, as if!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look out students & mums..

..it could've just got a lot more dangerous to get reassigned an old number!

Where's the party nympho..Oh, is that you Mr. bin Laden..?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/16/not_so_virgin_number/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/09/hiltons_mobile_number/

4. A. Merkin

iPhOnE Gestures

What a great idea; with an Iphone, agents could define a custom gesture and literally give the finger (or fingers in the UK) to the baddys.

Can the iPHONE take voice input? Then you could use the reverse V plus raspberry as a trigger!! LOL!

5. Ben Holmes

I can't believe...

...that no one has ventured forth the screamingly obvious...We're all about to get DICD on by Boeing...

6. Mike

Define "normal"

...and they opened it in a normal browser to confirm it was important.

Please tell me this is not yet another page that is

"Best when viewed with IE of the same version, right down to build date, as the copy on the developer's machine"

While you are at it, review the definition of "safe" as in "safe for scripting"

7. Jonathan Fitt

I forsee more drawbacks...

Wait, so all I have to do is send a "specially formatted" email to the right address and automated fiery-death rains from the sky?

Surely the effect of spam on this email address could be disastrous?

Plus what about hugely increased munitions the cost as lazy soldiers call in auto-airstrikes from their bunks by mobile phone? Those bombs are anything but cheap.

8. Ted Syperek

Boeing shows automated spying, flying drone

I rather expect that they would get RIAA lawyers to operate the system.

This topic is closed for new posts.