back to article Cyborg-style 'iLimb' hand a big hit with Iraq veterans

A Scottish prosthetics company engaged in publicising its new bionic hand claims to have achieved significant advances in its field - and says servicemen injured in combat "love the more robotic look" of its technology. Touch Bionics, based in Livingston, also seems set for a potentially lucrative lawsuit scuffle in future. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mike

Great news for amputees...

..but why the crappy name? When will people realise that sticking an 'i' in front of an everyday word isn't a good way of thinking up names. It got old a long time a go when the Apple marketing machine started churning out similarly rubbish names.

3. Craig Leeds

Captain Cyborg

Does are Kevin know about this yet?

4. Sampler

Space Commander Travis

Why bother making the hand compatible with guns when you could as easily incorporateone into it!

For servicemen only obviously, wouldn't want the local chav's who lost there hand in a nova related accident to have one.

5. Kev

Pick up the ball

now he won't have to take the afternoon off if he wants to pick up a ball a la Lister

6. Dan

Handy attachments

Finally, the 'John Storm' comic from my youth is coming true...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/storm.htm

Now I just need to lose a limb(!)

7. Simon

iWant one

A device which is going to benefit many people. Now can we please get off the iBandwagon name.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'i' as in internet?

Hmmm, do these things have IP addresses? :)

9. Sean Nevin

IP Addresses

IP / Wi-Fi enabled limbs? Sounds like its opening the door for all sorts of amusing things.

"Sorry boss, I didn't mean to flip you off, it seems someone's hacked into my hand contoller..."

10. Alan Donaly

Prosthetic brain

When do I get a chip to augment

my brain to make up for all those

nights/days drinking. I also don't

think the military needs those guys

in harms way and so they don't need

firearms arms it would be too much

to assume they would fit you with

one of these and send you back

until your all one prosthesis.

11. Peter Mellor

John F. Storm and my left arm

Dan wrote:

> Finally, the 'John Storm' comic from my youth is coming true...

> http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/storm.htm

Well, I had a look at John F. Storm's website. The picture shows him charging into battle with his prosthetic weapon blazing. Since he isn't wearing a helmet, I suppose he has a prosthetic armour-plated head as well.

> Now I just need to lose a limb(!)

I've already lost one, or at least the movement and feeling in it, to a brachial plexus injury in a motorbike accident in 1977. The problem with a myoelectric prosthesis (or orthosis in my case, since my paralysed left arm is still physically attached) is that it needs to take control feeds from existing undamaged peripheral nerves. A brachial plexus injury involves separation of of all connections of peripheral nerves to the spinal chord. A myoelectric prosthesis will only become workable once surgery advances to the stage of being able to connect the myoelectric arm directly into nerves in the spinal chord.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for this, and in the meantime, I just type (and do everything else) one-handed.

(PS: What does the "F" in "John F. Storm" stand for? :-)

12. lightning rasmussen

Bionics!

This is so awesome!!! God is Good! I pray this will get advanced very quickly.

This topic is closed for new posts.