back to article Cries for help go out as open source mogul's radar breaks

How appropriate that we caught Chairman Tim O'Reilly ogling Portland's tram schedule just a few minutes before the Pirate Party's founder Rickard Falkvinge took the stage at O'Reilly's own conference. Chairman Tim plotted his escape from OSCON, as Falkvinge prepared to talk to the people about things that matter. O'Reilly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

get out of my files

Maybe Chairman Tim is going senile time for

the drool farm for O'Reilly.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Freedom...

The powers that be will examine my files when they pry my private key out of my cold, dead hard drive... sorry, couldn't resist.

3. Aubry Thonon

Phenonomen?

"I know people complain about the name, but it's a good handle for a set of phenonomen."

Surely he meant "phenomenon".

<doo doo doodoodoo>

Phenomenon?

<doo doo doodoo>

Phenomenon!

<doo doo doodoodoo doodoodoo doodoodoo doodoodoo doo doo doodoo doodoo>

...with appologies to "Muppets Tonight"...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phenonomen #2

<pedant mode>

Actually, I think he meant "phenomena" since he was talking about a set of 'em.

</pedant mode>

BTW, any chance of banning "meme"? It's really getting on my tits and only seems to be used in quotes that, if unpublished, would leave the world a better place.

TeeCee

5. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Yes, "meme" considered harmful

TeeCee - Use of the word "meme" is considered pretty naff (and a giveaway sign that the person using it is a chump). There are so few occurances of "meme" at El Reg it's not worth formally banning.

(It's appeared a couple of dozen times in 70,000-odd articles, almost always satirically).

In this story, it's obviously being used satirically too. Empty-headed Web 2.0 enthusiasts like to use the word to make themselves sound cooler and more important.

See Jaron Lanier for a good explanation of the naffness of "meme" -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/27/jaron_lanier_futurist_conference/

>> "The 'meme' is what's left of ideas when you remove the sense of experience, and so the 'meme' is a way of saying ideas are nothing more than relativistic game theory moves," he says. "That's absolutely, demonstrably, not so in some specific areas like mathematics where things are true and false. But I don't think it's so where life has experience and experience gives us an alternate anchor point. An inexperienced life can only be made a 'meme'." <<

This topic is closed for new posts.