back to article Laptop industry hit by components shortage

Laptop computer makers are bracing themselves for a components shortage due to significant dents in the supply chain brought on by massive recalls and heavy demand. Semiconductor price tracker and electronics market researcher DRAMeXchange said the notebook industry was squeezed last quarter by a lack of key components …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah ha!

Now Microsoft will have an legitimate excuse as to why "Vista sales" will be dropping! It isn't because they released a dodgy OS, it's becasue there aren't enough components to support their sales!

.... now where did I put that "Vista drivers" CD for the perfectly good laptop that I bought a year ago.... oh wait....

2. Dillon Pyron

Parts availability

Two years ago, Blue Mountain Avionics had a severe problem when prices went up for their displays due to increased demand for them in the automotive industry.

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/

Pretty neat products, I've flown in a couple of planes with them.

3. Nick Lindridge

Dell changed our order to an inferior screen at the same price - maybe this is why.

We just received a laptop from Dell that we had ordered with a 1440x900 True Life screen, and what came was the model with a basic 1280x800 without even the true life. Depsite this, they charged the full amount to the credit card and didn't tell us.

It seems that even though the product was advertised, offered and accepted with the higher res screen, Dell subequently dropped that screen from those models and they cancelled our order without telling us or asking whether it was acceptable (which it isn't as the low res screen is unsuitable for purpose), and maybe this is because the high res screen is no longer cost effective for them on cheaper models.

Having bought numerous Dell machines in the past, we thought it pretty disgusting and shameful that they should pull a stunt like that, and also really annoying as it now causes major inconvenience in trying to resolve the matter in a satisfactory way.

Nick / ionCube Ltd.

This topic is closed for new posts.