back to article Buffer the Overflow Slayer v. the ActiveX Files

Microsoft's DirectX Media software development kit may be doing a lot more than helping designers give a realistic flesh tone to Lara Croft's breasts. It could also be introducing critical vulnerabilities into a countless number of applications that are spawned by the SDK. That's because the SDK, which streamlines much of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Donaly

so they still haven't learned

I believe it would upset me had I used this

in a game and people were advised to kill it

and yet it would probably be my fault for

using an activex control in the first place

they are all defective.

2. Jerome

Alternatively...

...just install Firefox.

3. Rusty D

ActiveX

So yet again we see the security problems that having ActiveX components in web sites poses, yet the BBC develops their IPlayer product that relies on you running ActiveX controls (in IE). I signed up for the beta, but have not yet viewed any content because of this very reason.

4. Gordon Fecyk

Blame Flash Pix instead of Microsoft? Nahhh

That would make too much sense now, wouldn't it?

5. Dave

balanced risk decision - decide when not to own your PC

If I elect to install a widget that incorporates ActiveX => take me I'm yours!

If I avoid all ActiveX => I know I am much safer

<latin> caveat emptor </latin>

but ALL developers should be compelled - compelled I say! - to reveal the use of ActiveX in their offerings - it's only fair

6. Dillon Pyron

Come to my website

Good friend, I am welcoming you to come to my website and exploring the newest in gameing inovation. I am providing a unversal translator software that will be making your gameing experience wonderful.

www.you-r-0wn3d.com

Thank you, Gen Obala Ngani, former deputy assistant minister of finance

I am also having $20,000,000 (twenty million dollars) to secretly export from my country.

7. A. Merkin

RE: Come to my website

Dear General Obala, that website waz KEWL! Had to reboot a couple of times afterwards tho, and internet still seems kinda slow...

Oh well. Please deposit the $20 Million US dollars in my personal account:

C. Lewis Esley

Social Security Number: 00i-812

Bank Account #: 00B4KRPT

10 W. Ned Street

Nocash NV, 23234

This topic is closed for new posts.