back to article Dell accountants spank themselves

Dell has released the results of its internal accounting probe today, stemming from allegations they mis-dated earnings or backdated share options to reach their financial goals. The probe has obviously been a huge thorn in the computer maker's paw, delaying the filing of current financial results and prompting an expensive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What kind of crap

is this "they have eliminated manual processes in accounting to improve the reliability of financial reporting."

Don't they mean they have "eliminated manual processes in accounting to reduce the financial reporting paper trail."

Corporate crap.

2. Chris Miller

Is The Register now obsolete?

Tom Lehrer observed that "political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize".

Now we have the news that "... financial leaders will be required to take accounting ethics training", managing to use the words "accounting" and "ethics" in the same sentence.

Please reassure me that you will still be here when I return tomorrow!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manual Process

"they have eliminated manual processes"

Ah great - S/He always gets the blame in the end.... in this case it must have been fatal.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: what kind've crap

Believe it or not, but there are also such things as IT-dependent processes, and automated IT processes...

Welcome to the tech age

Oh, and regarding the article - the mixed use of the word "income" (used both to indicate revenue as well as net income) is misleading.

5. heystoopid

Say

Say , these self wanking accountants are not ex Arthur Andersen Enron Audit Staff by any chance ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CA

Sounds like Computer Associates all over again. This saw Sanjay Kumar, the former chief executive, sentenced to 12 years.

Every month should have 35 days...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoops our what?

When did bad become a noun?

8. Dave

Can El Reg investigate the recent Dell Misprice?

There was a misprice on ext hd's on the dell UK site a few days ago - 250gig usb/firewire £23 delivered.

Needless to say a few thousand appear to have been ordered but no one has had any word if they will honour the cockup

El Reg: Go Forth and investigate!

9. Dillon Pyron

How much????

$150 M out of $12 B? That's a little more that .1% Michael can pull out his wallet and cover that much. Dell stock up 31 cents at 11:13 am CDT. Yup, they're being punished.

"managing to use the words "accounting" and "ethics" in the same sentence."

"There's no such thing as ethics in accounting" There, it's easy enough.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Gentlemen its the Republican Way. Anything for the "Almighty Dollar'

Don't think that I am a grumpy ole Democrat, Who likes Gun Control, Abortion Clinics on every corner, and Homo rights, (special rights)

No there is nothing left, no statesmen, no one interested in the welfare of our country.

Any thing for the dollar, we have forgotten Korea, Porkchop Hill etc, now we are at our on demise making China the most finacially rich country in the world. But it keeps the investers in the stock market fat. So!!

11. MrAngry

Dell going tits-up

Hmmm, I wonder if this is why my Dimension desktop (not one of the will publicised XPS laptops that are delayed) apparently won't ship for another 5 weeks (despite original 2 shipping dates already slipping). 2 months to build and ship a basic desktop smells of cashflow to me...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like