back to article Sun looks to huddled masses for growth

Sun Microsystems is looking to billions of citizens in Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC), defined by the west as emerging economies, for long-term success. Chief executive Jonathan Schwartz predicted BRIC nations will dominate Sun's business in time, thanks to a "staggering surge" in the purchasing power of citizen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Software in BRIC

> The open source software that is getting traction in the BRIC nations - as it is elsewhere - comes from Red Hat, MySQL and Ubuntu in addition to scripting languages.

That is little incorrect. I think open source software is used less in these countries (in Russia exactly). Well piracy in these countries.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Software used in BRIC

> The open source software that is getting traction in the BRIC nations - as it is elsewhere - comes from Red Hat, MySQL and Ubuntu in addition to scripting languages.

I think it is little incorrect. There is well piracy in BRIC countries and so they use open source software less then in USA and Europe (in Russia exactly). They don't pay licenses.

Another thing. Just imagine you as admin where you have windows file server for ~ 100 users. You wish to get rid of it. So you can install linux or solaris. And now imagine a boss that asks you - "Why don't we use windows as all normal guys?". You can say to defend linux - it is free. Then boss will say that he didn't pay for windows too. To defend solaris you can say that solaris is cool OS used on big enterprise servers many years and he can have this nice thing on own servers free. In the east reputation is more important then in many other regions.

There are governments in these countries that build plans to have own OSes and they point that they will use linux as base with open source products. Does anybody have idea what they can point as possible base instead of linux (windows, solaris, aix)? In reality even if some of them will create such OS then it doesn't mean it will be widely used. Even in governments.

3. Glen Turner

Sun and open source software

"The open source software ... comes from Red Hat, MySQL and Ubuntu... The thing they have in common: they come from outside Sun."

Strange that you missed OpenOffice. And Java.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: piracy in BRIC

At least in Brazil, if your boss decides to go with pirated software, anyone (include the competition) can call a branch of the feds that will be glad to go with the software companies association lawyers to verify and, if pirated software is found, apply a hefty fine. From what I recall the fine is around 200 times the price of the software in question.

Brazil's government wants to invest in open source, which is also popular in universities and research centers. On the other hand, piracy is rampant in personal computers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Piracy

It is not in the nature of east people to talk to government representatives (police and etc.) what another people violate. In USA people start to do it from school. That is because laws are so crazy that it is easy to find a crime for everybody. And it is not going to change in nearest 10 years (it will take no less then one generation, I myself is sure that it won't be changed). Brazil is different case.

For example Moscow government two years tells by TV to citizens that it is good to inform them about house neighbours renting out flats (owners don't pay taxes from earned money). In reality nobody does it. May be only in the case when neighbours brings a lot of problems (noise, water and etc.) somebody will call for militia.

This topic is closed for new posts.