back to article Sun turns Microsoft Windows server OEM

Having recently rediscovered itself as a systems company, Sun Microsystems has been welcomed into Microsoft's vast and growing family of OEM partners. Expanding the companies' three-year-old interoperability pact, Sun has agreed to ship Microsoft's dated but important Windows Server 2003 operating system pre-installed on its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chad H.

The world is clearly ending!

Its all over... time to make peace with whatever we believe in, cost this clearly indicates the end of the world.

2. Anton Ivanov

The hell has frozen...

Is it just me or I just saw Mr Lucifer going to work on a snowplough?

If anyone suggested this a couple of years ago (I still remember the Morse adverts about the "chosen") the Sun marketing and fans would have linched him.

3. DJGM

And in other "Hell Has Frozen Over" news . . .

Apple CEO Steve Jobs announces a Mac OS X licensing partnership with Dell!

4. Alan Donaly

Fine

Aside from all the historical BS this is about as exciting as a head cold wake me up when someone actually wants this combination who isn't really stupid.

5. Tim Bates

x64 machines?

x86-64 me thinks. Or AMD64 if you want to honour the first to get there. Or even EM64T if you want to specifically talk about Intel's range.

But for the love of all that is correct, don't call it x64. Is the x86 86 bit? No!

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Poor Sunbois, don't worry....

If this is like the Sun on-off, flippity-flop, "I-love-you-I-hate-you" relationship with Linux, next week there will be a Sun exec standing up and saying something like; "Let me be really clear about our Windows strategy. We don't have one. We don't at all. We do not believe that Windows plays a role on the server. Period. If you want to buy it, we will sell it to you, but we believe that Solaris is a better alternative...” Apologies to Mr Schwarz in advance.

7. Simon Greenwood

re: Poor Sunbois, don't worry....

Don't worry, they don't. It's just a way of getting purple boxes in different places. However, don't forget that with Sun, you're getting their (still generally excellent, even if first line is in Poland now) hardware support, which is way better than most of the x86 box shifters. Server 2003 performs as well on Sun x86 kit as it does on anything else. *coughuseSolariscough*

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Generic Title

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Haa.

I was having a really bad day, but this has cheered me right up.

Laugh? I nearly shat.

9. Francis Fish

"Rather sell customers drugs than windows?"

Wasn't that what a Sun CEO said some years ago? Shurely shome mishtake??

10. Jeff Deacon

And next?

Who is going to open a book on the future of Open Office? I bet the pressure will now be on Sun to cast Open Office adrift. After all, now that Sun have joined Team Microsoft, they won't want to be disloyal, will they?

11. Alex

Surpised?? Why?

SUN is Microsofts gateway to the Enterprise Server market and Microsoft is SUNs gateway to sustained profitability....

MS doesn't worry SUN because MS doesn't produce anything that could be termed Enterprise Class (though Exchange 'may' be getting there).

and

SUN doesn't worry Microsoft because let's face it SUN never has been very good at going after the SME market which is where Microsoft lives.

The truth is that I really do wish, as a system architect, that SUNs hardware expertise was more available to the Windows server environment. The only innovation going on out there (in the server sphere) is from IBM and SUN, HP and DELL are just box shifters with even worse support departments.

In the big scheme of things will SUN care what OS you put on one of it's boxes? Only as a matter of pride as long as the hardware revenue keeps rolling in.

As a UNIX/Linux man I hate the idea of promoting Microshite bloatware, but I understand the need for profit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like