back to article Two US computer engineers charged with espionage

A US federal grand jury has charged two computer engineers with stealing microchip designs to sell to the Chinese military. California residents Yuefei Ge, 34, of San Jose and Lan Lee, 42 of Palo Alto have been indicted under charges of conspiracy, economic espionage and theft of trade secrets. The two men are accused of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Idiots

They should have watched 'The Departed', they would have known that it wouldn't work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

goes to show

Never keep your computer bad stuff on your hard drive.....isn't that what external backup is all about?

3. Erik Aamot

@goes to show

however, you can't swallow an external HDD or CD/DVD disks nor even shove them up your arse, use thumb drives silly

~w00t~

4. Dillon Pyron

They what??

They were running a criminal enterprise (just waiting for the RICO indictments to drop) and they didn't encrypt everything? Now, admittedly, the NSA would have it popped open before they were settled into their orange jumpsuits, but would the government really be willing to admit in open court that they could do that?

And, if you are working that closely with a foreign government (and remember, everybody is everybody's enemy, even your "friends"), they would have some sort of way to destruct the data on the storage medium that was network connected and stashed somewhere away from the target computer. I won't say that I know anyone that does that, but I will say that I need to rethink my network topology.

Released on bail? Do you really think that they're not a flight risk?

5. Mother Hubbard

What the?

And here I thought the US stood for free trade and market forces?

6. Alan Donaly

well

I think they were thieves and they were trying to sell a product that they sold to the Chinese is what makes this article appear here what with all the mini cold war crap sprouting up for no other reason than basic lack of history knowledge. This isn't the 50's this isn't Mao and we aren't up against uncle Joe.

7. amanfromMars Silver badge

IP Warriors ...... IntelAIgent Messengers

Of course, if the Intellectual Property for passing to the Chinese for their investment/venture capital venture, was their own and original to them, then that would be entirely different.

For there is no prior claim on Originality and therefore no claim can ever be made, so Patents must just be Money Making Machines, hiding behind the need for Ideas to Change into Money.

Crikey, with so much available, all the time, why is it not being spent/delivered? What is the hold-up? Do some feel it has Control of Power rather than just giving the Co-Ordinates for SMART Munitions Dumps/ Free Fire Zones.

How does one Defend the Capitalist Ethos/Methodology if it requires Military Protection to Function Properly? That is surely Disfunctional. And all Zeroed around the Creation of Ever More Debt to Prove how rich one can be.

Yeah, Nice work if you can get IT, but it is not sustainable and probably a criminal fraud and a Bank Manager wouldn't entertain it as a viable business model, surely?

8. Cameron Colley

How long in prison?

25 years for IP theft, WTF!?!? If the US is anything like the UK, you could rape and kill a child and get less time in prison.

As has been mentioned above, I do find it odd that people who were part of a criminal+spying operation didn't encrypt their disks, and just left incriminating data laying around on their hard drives.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chinese

Where exactly do the Chinese come into it. These men planned to develop their stolen tech in China, but I see no evidence of them actually involving the Chinese gov.

10. Steve

25 years ? Murder ?

Erm, I hope those aren't the same data sheets that I can download from the Netlogix website by simply providing an email address.

Even if they aren't, twenty five years is way over the top, it's not like they killed anyone.

Jeeez USA, get the fuck over yourself.

11. amanfromMars Silver badge

Q to International Rescue ....... Bonded Goods.

Is the Assumption/Presumption that the Chinese do not have NetLogic Microsytems and NETL7 Layer 7 Knowledge-Based Processor family Knowledge of their Own 42 InterAct...... Virtually at the Quantum Levels...... CyberFlight Paths.

EUreQA! Energy .......Quantum Atomic and HyperRadioProActive.

12. umacf24

@Alan Donaly

> This isn't the 50's this isn't Mao and we aren't up against uncle Joe.

Quite right. It's the (eighteen) nineties and we're up against Kaiser Bill. The parallels are quite spooky sometimes....

Of course the PLA has nukes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like