back to article Novell punts world's most expensive Linux distro

One of the favourite public refrains of the FOSS movement is that Windows is too expensive, and that Microsoft swindles consumers, governments, taxpayers, penguins, and orphans. In the interests of balance, we'd like to draw attention to Novell's forthcoming release of openSUSE 10.3, available for pre-order on its website …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the problem?

18.4 copies of Vista to a copy of SuSe sounds like a fair rate of exchange to me. The best bit part of the deal being that you get to saw Vista into 0.2 sized pieces to provide the necessary small change.

Still, what we really need to know is when Novell reduce this price, will MS follow suit to remain competetive?

TeeCee

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excel 2007?

Given Novell are now a Microsoft shop, maybe they used Excel 2007 to work out the currency conversion:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/24/2339203

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When they reduce the price..

will someone sue them for indulging in deceptive tactics, like the woman who is suing Apple after the JesusPhone price reduction

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10903

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So......

So DON'T USE IT!!!

As soon as I heard that Novell was in bed with microsoft I saved my personal and configuration data from Suse and changed Linux flavor. Simple as that.

5. Andy Enderby

now fixed

Decimal point is now in the correct position.

6. petitbob

error !

not 3,380 £ but 33,80 £ !!!!!!!!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

Where are you guys even seeing the option for GBP? When telling the store my location is either the US or UK, the option never comes up. All I see are USD, AUD, and JPY?

8. james

I don't see that price on the link provided in the article

Looks like someone photoshopped the image in the article. I don't see that price on the Novell website:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/tabohica/suse103.jpg

9. John McGee

It was a mistake..

The photo in the article was not photoshop'd I also witnessed it.. Gave me a chuckle the early hours of nightshift.. :)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Huh?

Why bother? If' you're already paying for a flat rate broadband line, you might as well download that little bugger it for free:

http://software.opensuse.org/

Given the size of the thing, even if your broadband is at a crappy 1MBPS you should have it in 3 days, way faster then the disc arriving via mail, if they ever arrive (I signed up for Novell's free Distro CD a long time ago. Said it should be here in 8 weeks, but nope, it's been years and still no CD. And yes, I tripled checked the address I provided and it was correct).

11. shaft$M$tfahs

Have ye forgotten...gentility?

My lord you folks in the old country have forgotten the best of what made (most) of us Americans in the first place: gentility, and a sense of one's own place. All that Labor business must have gone to your heads! Let me explain.

You see, Larry Ellison -- I take him to be synonymous with Novell, much as Bill Gates is with Microsoft -- comes from my parents' generation. Suburban-born-and-bred Baby Boomers, to be exact. Back then, doctors were doctors, hippies were hippies, and mail-room clerks were destined (like Larry) to become billionaires.

If you felt unwell, you asked your doctor; you didn't presume to research the matter on your own. If you needed pot, you asked a hippie, not some homeboy with ten pounds of gold chains and a Raiders hat. If you needed to promote someone, you looked in the mailroom, not in the ranks of hard-working middle management or your next-of-kin. If you needed a computer, you bought it for thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars, with the assumption that 24/7 tech support was available, and in a pinch, some geek with a plastic pen liner and a panel truck full of cables and vacuum tubes would show up at your doorstep, and would never leave until everything worked like clockwork.

Granted, openSuSe is mostly free software. But it's more than that, it's a clarion call to restore what made us great: TRADITION.

Quality and price must be commensurate, right? The Eucharist is free, but if you don't crawl to the nave on your bloody knees, what good is a small piece of flavorless starch going to do for you, anyway?! Linux is free, but faith in Those Who Know What's Best always comes at a high price!

Amen.

ctrl.alt.fun@gmail.com

12. Chris Beckett

@Anonymous Vulture

Re your comment on ditching SUSE because of the Novell-Microsoft agreement - get a sodding life!

Novell have had the balls to realise that in order for Linux to grow bigger it needs to work and play well with others in the corporate environment, which at the end of the day puts food on everyone's table. I doubt they'll lose much sleep over some Slashdotter turncoat such as yourself. Even Red Hat and Xandros are coming around to the idea now, Novell just got there first.

Oh, and even at three grand, openSUSE is a damn sight better than Windows Vista, and yes, I've bench tested both.

13. Paul Sims

Glad it's not a holiday money conversion rate!

I'm sure glad that Novell's Euro - GBP rate didn't apply when we went on hols a few weeks back - I'd only have taken about 30 euro-cents!!

14. John

just download it

Here is Suse 10.2, straight from the suse website:

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/iso/dvd/openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso

install it, then upgrade via YaST to 10.3.

or give it a few days and 10.3 will be there.

Beware, SuSE is in bed with Microsoft.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

download as always is still free!

Will you guys say anything to disparage the only full scale linux company in the world. Is it just success you fear, or is it also a need for linux to be the domain of geeks for ever? Grow up and stop beating that dead horse.

16. Arnold Myford

@download as always is still free!

Have you forgotten about Red Hat?

17. Matthew

I've just ordered my copy

Think Novell have been an awesome contributor to the world of Linux. Amuses me when you get folk turning their noses up at them because of MS so they use an alternative distro that uses source code that comes from the Novell camp.

18. Walter Brown

@shaft$M$tfahs

Check your facts... Larry Ellison co-founded Oracle, as such, he has nothing to do with Novell, and i'm sure he would appreciate in the future if you would kindly refrain from soiling his name by referencing neither ripoff artist or cowardly sellout, in relation to him...

19. Snert Lee

Re: Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison, synonymous with Novell?

Lawrence Joseph Ellison (born August 17, 1944) is the co-founder and CEO of Oracle Corporation, a major database software company.

This topic is closed for new posts.