back to article Zend predicts Java and PHP oneness

Lately, Zend Technologies has worked to put PHP in the enterprise by optimizing its tools for Oracle and IBM databases and middleware. Today, Zend makes its latest move on the enterprise, by throwing open early code for an up-coming PHP suite based on Eclipse. Zend thinks this will let it integrate with other Eclipse-based Java …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jared
    Thumb Down

Anything but that...

I'll take my Java and my PHP separately, please. Java is OK for the enterprise, but it sucks for smaller, "quick and dirty" projects on a tight budget. PHP is great for smaller projects but sucks for enterprise. Putting the two together is like turning my hammer into a screwdriver.

Personally, I enjoy doing a bit of Java at work and coming home to a loving PHP box in the evening...The mistress isn't as fun when she's the wife.

Since Zend Studio was already written in Java and slower than molasses in the North Pole, its users will undoubtably feel comfortable moving to the slower than tree sap in the North Pole Eclipse platform. But for the rest of us that don't want to take coffee breaks while eclipse builds our workspaces, lets hope the really great PHP tools (Komodo, Maguma et al) will stay on top.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Could zend be more wrong?

As a professional PHP developer I seriously think Zend is heading in the wrong direction with its integration, frameworks and IDE's - As Jared pointed out PHP is great for fast-flexible (quick and dirty) web development, Zend's catalog of tools do nothing but contradict this.

I've recently been evaluating Zend IDE as our current Nusphere subscription is up for renewal and I can honestly say their IDE is a slow piece of crap and hasn't had a decent upgrade for a lont time - the Zend functionality is surpassed by the likes of Nusphere which is 20x faster, has superior functionality, gets regular updates and best of all you get direct support from the developers.- I think we'll be staying put.

And no I'm not Anti-Zend, I think their efforts need to be applauded, without them I'd still be programming Java, but I do think they need to sit up and take notice.

This topic is closed for new posts.