back to article Intel readies budget dual-core Celerons

Intel's Celeron line of budget processors will go dual-core in the new year, a prelude to a plan that will see the chip giant phase out single-core products, it has been claimed. The first low-cost desktop chip will be branded Celeron Dual-Core, as per this year's Pentium Dual-Core releases. The first of the line will be the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Butterworth

What about the E21XX series?

I have a pretty new budget £55 E2180 which runs at 2.0GHz on an 800MHz fsb with 1Mb cache and it runs pretty sweet. If I OC it to 2.3Ghz it runs fine on stock voltage and cooling at comparable benchmarks to a non-budget AMD / Intel processor twice its cost (PassMark rating 1279).

It looks to me like the E12XX series is just the E21XX series with the cache knocked down from 1Mb to 512Mb. The price is a little cheaper for the new chips, but not noticably so.

So what was the deal with the E21XX series? Was this Intel dipping their toe in the water to see if the market was ready for budget processors?

If anyone is looking for a budget CPU to overclock I suggest you get one of the E21XX processors before they are discontinued. I bet the new line won't be anywhere near as overclocking friendly!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like