back to article Identity and Passport Service announces ID supplier shortlist

Eight companies have got through the first stage of the Identity Card Scheme procurement process. Accenture, BAE Systems, CSC, EDS, Fujitsu, IBM, Steria and Thales have been given the go ahead to enter a competitive dialogue with the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) for places on the National Identity Scheme Strategic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Leroy Fevrius
    Happy

The same Usual Suspects

Considering the records of some of these companies with government contracts you'd think they'd be off the short list.

Ah well at least we know that with them in charge buggering the system up, our freedom is at least safe!

2. AndyB
    Black Helicopters

Please, Please, PLEASE

Let it be EDS.

3. Michael Parker

There must be a mistake...

...I don't see Fasthosts as one of the top 5?

4. Tawakalna
    Dead Vulture

but it won't be...

..iSoft. Whoever it is, it will be a disaster for which we'll be paying for years.

5. Simon Greenwood
    Thumb Up

The government never learns

Personally, I don't mind, as a contractor it will give me plenty of work to do on a system that will probably never be rolled out properly *polishes golden wheelbarrow*

6. David Harper

Rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off

That's the best news about the national ID system that I've heard in a long time.

Not only is the government shortlisting a bunch of companies which have spectacularly screwed up previous major IT projects, but it looks like the work will be split between several of them, which pretty much dooms the entire thing to utter and complete failure.

The only down side is that the companies involved will end up with billions of pounds of OUR tax money before the project is written off as a disaster.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

EDS - Why?

Who in the government is getting the back-hander's that allows EDS to continue to be considered as a capable provider of IT - EDS couldn't manage the CSA and now they're going to be allowed to expand to cover the UK. Can someone name that tosser?

8. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Few, that's a relief

I thought they were serious about delivering it. Now that the short list has been narrowed down to Koko, Lulubell, Pongo, Spanky and Gabo with a track record of floppy shoes, red noses, and miniature cars with eccentric wheels, it's clear this is just a little light entertainment to cheer us up!

Will they shoot the home secretary out of a canon?

Can you name one government project, that that lot have ever delivered to original budget and original schedule? Just one?

Ahh, but we laugh at their antics, that's the important thing. 900 million for a prisoner tracking system, haha, 2.3 billion to merge 3 army databases, lol, what characters! The laughter is worth the billions in wasted IT budgets.

9. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

50 Show interest?

50 Show interest paired down to 10 to move forward. Could it be that only 8 applied usual spin.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EDS - I'm shocked?

If EDS. why not Groucho, Harpo, Zippo, Chico and Gummo?

Mike.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Unprofessional review

Accenture : Bid with a few good staff, replace with cheap graduates, swamp project. Project overrun but they are so good at the commercials it'll end up costing the taxpayer billions.

BAE Systems : Project overrun. Should be good on security. Will they bribe their way onto the shortlist ?

CSC : Company going down the pan, staff leaving in droves, low morale. Just what's needed...

EDS : How, for F**ks sake, did they make the shortlist with their track record? Project overrun but they are so good at the commercials it'll end up costing the taxpayer billions

Fujitsu : Quality. However, not good at influencing government, won't make the shortlist.

IBM : SOA everyhere. Technology purity will kill the project. Project overrun but they are so good at the commercials it'll end up costing the taxpayer billions

Steria : Won't get past the shortlist, how did they make it through so far ?

Thales : They provide much of the IT/Comms for Network Rail. 'nough said ?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Re:EDS - Why?

I was of the opinion that giving the contract to EDS would a good thing because it would mean that ID cards would never see the light of day

Then I realised that they will make like they did with the CSA and Tax Credits software. Roll it out even though its complete shite and unfit for purpose.

You may well find plod beating in your door down in the middle of the night because EDS' shitty software cross-referenced your DNA with a terrorist crime scene.

Nex thing you know, MI5 will have renditioned you to some 3rd world shithole so they can apply electrodes to your gonads until you confess.

13. MikeWW

@ AndyB

I bet HMRC are saying "Please, Please, PLEASE Let it be EDS" as well. Isn't their compensation from the last SNAFU by EDS based on what contracts EDS are awarded in the future?

14. Claire Rand

muppets

csc...

god help us

15. BitTwister

@AndyB

> Let it be EDS.

Heh, yes indeed. Then it will never happen AND be tens of millions over budget. Another super NuLabour bargain IT deal...

This topic is closed for new posts.