back to article Online scammers exploit California wildfire disaster

The California wildfire disaster, like so many other tragedies involving loss of life, has become the subject of an online scam. If the history of incidents like the Indian Ocean tsunami disaster and Hurricane Katrina is anything to go by, fire-themed malware is likely to follow. Net security firm Websense reports that its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian Pickering

It should be easy to spot these scammers

Their pants are on fire.

2. Shaun

Dangerous Game

Didn't Arnie vow to personally hunt down and terminate anyone who tries to cash in on this disaster?

3. Alan Jenney
    Joke

What is this "eeb" that Websense are scanning...

... and shouldn't they be looking on the web instead?

4. Michael
    Coat

Hmmm

I was thinking about this the other day, and as long as the wording was done correctly, you could do something like this completely legally.

Have a whole site with information about the fires, etc. Death toll, acres burned, etc. Then you have a page that invites people to donate to those in need and put in a little notice that "those in need" does not necessarily refer to fire victims. Then funnel all the cash from those people still silly enough to donate money to you, right into your bank account. Hey, you're in need....of a new TV.

As long as you didn't claim to be collecting donations FOR THE FIRE VICTIMS, it seems to me you could do something like this quite legally.

Yeah, I'm a sick bastard. I know.

5. Dave Aronson
    Coat

Someone's gotta say it....

Liar liar pants on fire!

This topic is closed for new posts.