back to article Olympic ticketing system crashes under demand

Tickets sales for next year's Olympic Games in Beijing were suspended for a week on Tuesday after the ticketing system crashed under the weight of Chinese sport fans looking to snap up tickets for the eagerly-anticipated event. A lottery in June for the first round of 1.6 million tickets went smoothly enough. But the offer of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete Silver badge
    Unhappy

and in 4 years time ....

... what's the betting we'll see this exact same story again, only with a different country in the frame?

2. John Latham

Easy solution

They should allocate tickets on a "least busy first served" basis, i.e. allow a two week online registration period, and give tickets to those who register in the "quietest" minutes (measured retrospectively).

This would likely flatten demand whilst preserving fairness.

John

3. /\/\j17

Correction...

"Tickets sales for next year's Olympic Games in Beijing were suspended for a week on Tuesday after the ticketing system crashed under the weight of Chinese sport fans looking to snap up tickets for the eagerly-anticipated event."

Should read:

"Tickets sales for next year's Olympic Games in Beijing were suspended for a week on Tuesday after the ticketing system crashed under the weight of Chinese "sport fans" looking to snap up tickets for the eagerly-anticipated event and put them on eBay closer to the time."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Luckily we have atos origin doing the IT for the olympics

so there's nothing to worry about.

5. evilbobthebob

Well actually (@Pete)

Its more likely the UK system will crash when, say, a whole hundred people ask for tickets. Not that I'm pessimistic...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: and in 4 years time ...

"... what's the betting we'll see this exact same story again, only with a different country in the frame?"

Doubt it.

Given the gummint's track record(sic) with IT projects in the past, multitudinous screwups will happen but it'll hardly be newsworthy (hopefully I'll have fled this godforsaken armpit of a country by then, so I won't really care much either ;-) )

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Luckily we have atos origin doing the IT for the olympics

Great... So if they do anything web based only IE users will be able to access it... :/

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=401759

This topic is closed for new posts.