back to article Blu-ray BD+ crypto tech to be cracked by year's end?

Bullish optical disc decryption software developer Slysoft has claimed it has cracked Blu-ray Disc's BD+ copy-protection technology, though the most recent version of its disc hacking tool only extends to the AACS anti-rip mechanism. Slysoft announced AnyDVD 6.1.9.3 earlier this week. Among its features, the developer claimed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joerg

People still believe that this happens thanks to reverse-engineering?

Isn't it all that obvious that manufacturers simply want "piracy" to exist because this way they can earn a lot more ?

Just like consoles modchip... they are freely sold and used on all major consoles (and the PS3 will follow,either that or a modified firmware...) ... if they were so illegal, how comes they can get freely imported into countries and sold by shops? Why multinationals just don't do anything serious to stop them ?

Well, isn't it pretty obvious ? Selling CD/DVD and soon BD burners in large quantities as well as selling hundreds of millions of blank media ensures way higher profts than selling a few originals at high prices.. that's pretty obvious, isn't it ?

Also, all the fuss about DRM technologies ensures more money flowing thru industry agreements and such. And once the money got collected, the protective "anti-piracy" measures are no longer needed, so they ensure the obvious happens, they manage to give average Joe the needed tools to copy whatever he wants to and they will get huge profits thanks to that due to many more people buying burners, modchips, blank media than originals...

Does anyone really believe that, just for example, the PSP hacked firmwares that add tons of new features along with a PS1 emulator are coded by some amateurs that can't have access to the source code and all needed development tools and that would be able to decrypt and disassemble the code even in just a week to create an hacked version ?

This is all part of the pseudo-capitalistic viral marketing strategy that multinational marketing people pursue to ensure some large profits.

Do people seriously believe that 12-18 year old "hackers" can reverse engineer encrypted firmwares like nothing and without having seriously studied the architectures on official white papers and service/developer manuals ? (which isn't something you can download on the 'net.. believe it or not but the way expensive DVD White Paper specification document can't be downloaded from anywhere, you still have to buy it just like for the BD and HD-DVD ones...).

2. Nick Stallman
    Happy

Only a matter of time

It was inevitable just like all DRM and the bigger the target, the faster it will be cracked.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing is uncrackable

Sony control the format don't they, so they will make, or decide who makes, all the blanks and writeable discs?

So why not just don't make any writeable discs, ever. Piracy problem solved, almost.

Surely, as a movie company too, Sony will lose more with people copying discs, than they would selling blanks.

Depends how much the blanks cost i guess.

4. Senor Beavis
    Pirate

subsidised cracking

Wouldn't it be perfect if we discovered that the hard disk manufacturers were in fact subsidising the cracking of copy protection? I'm guessing the average filesharer would need to buy that new disk for all those lovely new hi-def DivXes

5. Shaun

RE: Nothing is uncrackable

The trouble is, it's possible to just rip it from the disc and convert to WMV-HD, bung it on a DVD-DL and play it on the XBOX 360 (or the PC)

6. Daniel B.
    Pirate

so ...

Maybe the real definer of the oh-so-bloated media wars on HDDVD / BD will be who gets cracked first?

PSX jumped in popularity in part because the games were 3x cheaper than the N64, but even more because CD copying was relatively cheap, and with modchips you could keep those original CD's in mint condition and wear the backup CD as much as you wanted.

I even remember that sometime around 2000 the famous "black CD's" began to be sold out there, those that curiously look a helluva lot like PSX originals ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

It's not just copying...

...I have a home theater with a venerable CRT projector. Big, heavy, and hard to set up - but fantastic quality when done well. And, of course, no HDMI.

If I want to run HD to it, I can't use HDMI. And that means a tool along the lines of SlySoft's.

Oddly, wanting to watch an HDDVD which I have purchased using a computer I have purchased with software I have purchased on a projector I purchased is illegal.

If you want to get angry about something, forget the Don't Tase Me guy. Start thinking about why you can go to jail for watching a movie in an unapproved manner.

This topic is closed for new posts.