back to article Acer and HP patent rumble rumbles on

A patent dispute between two of the world's top computer vendors continued apace yesterday, with Acer confirming that it planned to once again counter sue Hewlett-Packard (HP). Taiwan-based Acer, which looks set to be ranked third in the world among PC vendors following its imminent takeover of Gateway, said it had filed patent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

"dispute between two of the world's top computer vendors"

Can't remember the last time I saw an Acer, and certainly never considered Acer as a World leading computer vendor.- confused.

I

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Top computer vendor?

AC wrote

"Can't remember the last time I saw an Acer, and certainly never considered Acer as a World leading computer vendor"

Didn't Acer buy TI's laptop business? And apart from that they're reputedly a major component maker.

Anyway, last time I was in-store both my local supermarket and Woolworths were selling Acer gear.

3. b shubin
    Pirate

Let them eat lawyers

the only thing the current patent regime in the US provides is secure, plentiful revenue for lawyers. this is logical, as the patent system is heavily influenced by lawyers. i'm sure there's no conflict of interest (insert unavailable sarcasm icon here).

it's absurd. they trumpet the number of patents filed each year as a metric of success and innovation; on the contrary, the system appears to stifle innovation and competition, and to promote endless lawsuits, injunctions and appeals. most of the patents filed are obvious, derivative, or trivial in the extreme, literally nothing more than legal fodder.

the team with the most lawyers usually wins.

the USPTO is fundamentally broken. let's see how long they keep a finger in this dike.

This topic is closed for new posts.