back to article QuickTime update fixes code-execution holes

Once again, there's a new version of QuickTime media player, and if you know what's good for you, you'll install it soon, whether you use Windows or OS X. Apple issued QuickTime 7.3 on Monday to nix seven bugs that left users vulnerable to online miscreants. Six of the flaws made it possible for attackers to remotely run …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Knox
    Boffin

Better Idea

"Once again, there's a new version of QuickTime media player, and if you know what's good for you, you'll install it soon, whether you use Windows or OS X."

Or better yet, don't install it, or any version of QuickTime. That's always worked fine for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

yeah right

How's that leopard install going without quicktime ? Did the intro movie play ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

No Qt for me either

It's too bad Apple don't provide a way to easily uninstall Quicktime on Mac. Those who don't care to have it or iTunes just have to mangle the program folders and hope for the best I suppose. With every software update, you're prompted to reinstall them too - *I don't want them, thank you*

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Steven Knox

The Quicktime Player browser plug-in has a very good interface, allowing slick "scrubbing" through a clip by dragging the marker. Can you suggest an alternative that works as well as this?

I ignored the pop-up to update, because it was only offering me iTunes as well - the QT only update option seems to have disappeared. Stop it Apple - I do not want you foisting a huge application on me that _I_ will never use.

5. Rabbi
    Stop

How to uninstall Quicktime from Windows . . .

It's not only Macs where it's difficult to uninstall Quicktime. On Windows it doesn't provide an uninstall link and does not appear in Add/Remove programs.

I would like to share this tip that I found in the Tech Support Guy forums:. Check to see if there's a file "uninstall.log" in the c:\windows\system32\quicktime folder. If there is, run the following command:

c:\windows\unvise32qt.exe c:\windows\system32\quicktime\uninstall.log

I run a network of nearly 100 business PCs. At least half of them came with QT installed or have had it added by users. Since the proliferation of QT vulnerabilites I have used this command to remove QT wherever I find it. It has worked every time. I ignore the dire warnings and "Remove Everything" - no problems yet!

6. Rolf Howarth
    Stop

Uninstall QT?

You absolutely need QT on the Mac. It's a core system library used for handling just about any kind of media file. Every displayed an image in your web browser or email client? There's nothing to say you have to use iTunes or QuickTime Player, but QuickTime itself is a vital API that other applications are built on top of.

-Rolf

7. Shakje

Is QT

going to go the way of the Internet Explorer debacle and software that is forced on the user?

8. zake

Windows 2000

Link here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime716forwindows.html

You'll not find it for love nor money in the QuickTime area of the site.

This topic is closed for new posts.