back to article Nicked DVLA documents used to sell stolen cars

The UK's top-cop alliance, ACPO*, is warning that buyers of secondhand vehicles are being duped using genuine V5C ownership logbooks stolen from the government motor licencing authority. "It is believed that there are hundreds of stolen V5Cs currently in circulation," says a statement issued today by the ACPO Vehicle Crime …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RichardB
    Alien

Good thing we are getting ID cards soon

to protect our identity. That way you can register your car against the Id card. Right?

Same for the passport.

Of course if someone were then to get your 'genuine' id card, then by default they then own your car anyway.

It seems such a shame that we are moving away from a society of responsible professionals who can use experience and knowledge to get a result, and into an age when you are merely whoever the computer thinks you are at that moment in time.

It would be interesting to see that Dick from the police protesting her innocence at gunpoint - sadly the computer says you are a terr miss - bang bang.

2. Richard Gadsden
    Thumb Down

My V5C got nicked and they didn't seem to care much

My V5C got nicked last year and the DVLA didn't seem to care much when I phoned up asking for a replacement.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

what vehicle

''commonly sold using dodgy documents are "Ford Transits, Nissan Navaras, BMWs, Mercedes and Audis''

So I need not worry with a hpi check on my next Citroen XM then.......

4. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Vista

Would Windows Vista Security Centre help prevent this?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Richard Gadsden

Richard,

The two reels of missing V5C forms were all blanks... unless you'd been a naughty boy and magically removed all your vehicle details from yours, only your vehicle was at risk... :-)

6. tony trolle
    Flame

laser toner ?

can you 'lift' the details using a warm iron and kitchen roll ?

cannot try this myself as a few miles away in US

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

If they really cared...

They'd not expect you to dial a (to all intents and purposes) premium-rate number to check the genuosity of the document. They'd off a Freefone number, with a geographical alternative (for use by mobiles), instead.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

46,500 V5C's

To lose one would be careless to lose that many should involve capital punishment ...

This topic is closed for new posts.