back to article Microsoft calls in the builders for Dublin data centre

Microsoft is shelling out $500m on a new European data centre in Ireland to support its growing online business. There will be tens of thousands of servers pumping out web-based apps to internet fanciers all over the world, the company says. But it only needs to hire between 15 and 20 staff to run the behemoth's first Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Biton Walstra

cheap soil only reason?

I think the only reason why Microsoft choose Irish land is the price of soil and not "He gushed that it was "a further example of Ireland being to the forefront when it comes to the cutting edge of technology... The Irish government recognises the importance of being a competitive, innovation-driven, knowledge economy," according to Associated Press." as being stated...

2. JimC

> a further example of Ireland being to the forefront

of giving tax breaks to multinationals surely...

3. Emo

Land aint cheap in Ireland

Any land on the east side of Ireland is very expensive!

Also I do believe corporation tax is quite cheap too, hence why so many multinational companies are based in Ireland.

My 2pence.

Eamon

4. martin

Title

Multi-nats no longer receive grants in the Greater Dublin Area due to policy of industrial dispersal. However grants can still be made in Dublin for projects of national strategic importance. I doubt this level of jobs and lack of tangible end product would qualify. Reliability of power supply , climate , (very important for DC"s) and generally favourable Gov attitude to business probably ensured this facility for Ireland. MS also have a very large existing facility in Dublin which has an excellent performance record. From the Irish point of view the construction output will boost GDP of course and the servers will probably be sourced from Dell in Limerick or IBM in Kildare. Also keeps Irelands tech profile high. 40,000 servers I hear. Remarkable.

5. Kwac

Prime Minister Bertie Ahern

"a further example of Ireland being to the forefront when it comes to the cutting edge of technology... The Irish government recognises the importance of being a competitive, innovation-driven, knowledge economy,"

This is in relation to Microsoft?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Few corrections

"40,000 servers I hear" - Will be closer to 70,000 (30MegaWatt)

"Reliability of power supply , climate , (very important for DC"s)" - Dont forget the ever important connectivity issue, Dublins just a spit away from Amsterdam (the largest availble source of bandwidth in Europe).

7. Derek Williams
    Thumb Up

Not Cheap Soil

I live about 1/2 a mile from the industrial estate it's going to be built in and land is far from cheap here - a 800 square foot apartment is going for well over €380,000 so a big DC like that would be pricey enough...

The real reason it's going there....two 110KV lines passing throught the site, a 220KV being built... so lots of power there, dedicated fibre to the main ISPs in Ireland and the UK already on site, fibre to the Irish INEX already on site and it's not a million miles away from an existing fibre connection to Amsterdam, London and accross the atlantic, so lots of bandwidth - perfect location for a DC methinks

And 12% Corporation Tax doesn't hurt either......

8. amanfromMars Silver badge

MicroSoft Ulster Representative...... an Invest Northern Ireland dDutch Initiative

And don't forget that the Northern Sector of the island has ITs Own Fledgling Government Administration too with a whole host of New Virgin Politicians who know more than just a bit about Running Corrupt Governments Ragged.

That would suggest that they would know how to Run them Better too..... or at least were SMART enough to listen to Underground Vibes which Can and Do. After All, that is the Strength which Unites them and Gives them Energy and Support.

You would be absolutely amazed at the Intelligence Created in the Maze. A Bonded Matrix with ITs Nexus Core at Grass Roots/Routes Level for the Loftiest of Endeavours....... True Leadership without Hallions Bumming a Free Ride...... for there aint no such thing.

9. Albert

Ireland has connectivity

I remember when Microsoft came to Ireland one of thekey things was the access to the internet backbone, so, their network plugged straight in - they were effectively their own ISP.

If this is still the case then Microsoft have complete control over their interent service from the Dublin location. They cannot be held to ransom by an ISP who wants to constantly increases their bandwidth charges once the deal is signed.

10. Steve Cooper

Some connectivity yeah

All Irish Internet traffic goes via London - the government has been asked to look into sorting out another path that doesn't rely on London. I hope they're not relying on Eircom for their comms and do it all themselves though!

Oh and it's not Prime Minister Bertie, it's an taoiseach Bertie...

@Derek Williams - I assume this location's somewhere near Cherrywood? I've just moved to London from Dublin so have some interest where it is.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

cutting edge technology

He gushed that it was "a further example of Ireland being to the forefront when it comes to the cutting edge of technology... The Irish government recognises the importance of being a competitive, innovation-driven, knowledge economy," according to Associated Press.

Better not remind Bertie of "Media Lab Europe" then

12. Seán
    Mars

Knob

Now we'll never get rid of ballmer. Aghhh he's making us push for software patents and he's using 12% of all microsoft's profits in the EU and Middle East. Which I must admit is quite the compelling argument.

Regarding piton Wałęsa above the reason the US companies set up in Ireland is simple, we speaka de inglis. Also duhmericans can't understand how to calculate VAT. Also people who speak yurpean languages can live in Ireland and not get beaten up by people with england football shirts on. Mind you anyone with two rav 4s isn't the best at correct estimation.

This topic is closed for new posts.