back to article Deutsche Telekom eyeing up EDS

Deutsche Telekom could make a bid for services giant EDS in a bid to boost its own services business. The two firms have had preliminary talks about a takeover, according to the Financial Times, which cites “people familiar with the situation”. A takeover could see EDS merged into DT’s T-Systems division, with the combined …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Ouch

I feel sorry for those EDS employees that are still working in the UK.

Things don't look too good for them at the moment!!!

2. Mike Stephens

This is Big News

You don't talk about being taken over if you think your future is rosy. My take on EDS is they persistently get good opportunities but then get into trouble. Some of it is the common problem of under-pricing but I believe their process-driven approach and obsession with getting jobs offshore are leading them down the wrong path. The interesting thing is other big SIs have exactly the same beliefs. Deutsche Telekom can't do any harm to such a significant chunk of our industry.

3. David Roberts
    Paris Hilton

Who else might be interested?

This may of course be just a cynical attempt to pump up the share price.

However, if EDS is truly seeking to be taken over/merged who else might have the pockets?

BT have had aspirations to be a big systems house for decades.

Howe about Microsoft? Pockets don't come much deeper!

Interesting suggestion that an emerging economy might have a punt - anyone in China looking like a prospect?

Then again, Russia has been buying football clubs so they may want to diversify.......

How rich IS Paris Hilton?

Does she need a(nother) hobby?

Suggestions on a postcard to Texas, please ;-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

as an eds employee i have to say...

oh my.

well, i for one would welcome our new german overlords with open arms - i cant say im surprised really. heres an idea though, Fujitsu. its obvious they want the MOD contract to them selves again and it would make perfect sense if they can get the capitol from japan.

5. Kieron McCann
    Happy

It reminds me of the Simpsons

My name is Horst, I have been chosen by the new owners to talk to you because I am the least threatening. Perhaps I remind you of the loveable seargeant Schulz from the TV series Hogan's Heroes....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Former EDS employee , Gripes and praises ...lol

As a former EDS SA employee I would welcome the change as this could possibly encourage the “Mother Ship” to start implementing their policies and make a bigger effort in their smaller branches like SA, where the staff turnover is a talking point of note, or possibly, they will be allowed to break away from mother EDS, or break into smaller facilities. This could free up resources to incentivise their staff to market related salaries and bonuses, and possibly a company benefit here and there. I like the company and would love to see the SA subsidiary start turning around, but it needs some clear management direction and more influence from abroad, as it does not feel and definitely does not look like a global power at the moment. For year I was a staunch EDS’er, and till this day still speak like I actually work for them, yet I was overworked and underpaid and never got to spend quality time with my family. I want the company to get back to $60 a shares and happy staffers, but without change and a shakeup, I can’t see this ever happening. Maybe the company will become the largest IT conglomerate in the world...It is a nice company that does a lot of good and gives back to the community, but let’s not forget, that charity begins at home.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Fourth Reich

Last century we had two wars with them, now they're going to run the MoD - maybe there was some truth in the ODESSA File. What price the Fourth Reich?

This topic is closed for new posts.