back to article VMware parades virtualization for the SMB masses

VMware has announced three new VMware Infrastructure packages that are designed to help IT administrators at SMBs make the decision to deploy virtual infrastructure. The SMB bundles are based on the latest release of VMware Infrastructure, which will include the new VMware ESX Server 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5, and are focused …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mathieu GUILLAUME
    Unhappy

Cost

I find the price is still pretty high : even for the Foundation version, that's still at least $1k per server. For most basic servers, that's still a 30% to 50% price increase if you decide to go virtual.

2. K
    Thumb Up

Makes me laugh...

Mathieu - take a look at http://vmware.com/products/server/, they offer the actual server for free. Unless your forking out $50k for a failover solution (including SAN etc) then go for the freebie! Backup etc can still be done by your usual system backup.

3. Mathieu GUILLAUME

Not the same

For VMWare Server yes, but that's not the same as VMWare ESX Server.

I'll wait to see what can be done with ESX 3i + APIs when it comes embedded in the servers themselves (hopefully without a big price hitch).

4. Jack Pastor

Citrix will kill them

VMWare is not well-liked by the channel. Citrix has a real opportunity here on both price and performance with their Xen-based products. SMB is not a risk-adverse as large enterprises.

Old-school companies will continue to buy 1st generation virtualization, but the more nimble smaller companies already know and trust Citrix.

This topic is closed for new posts.