back to article Google's next web toolkit thinks it's better than you

Just as Microsoft was brushing aside claims that Volta, its latest .NET programming toolkit, is a Google Web Toolkit (GWT) clone, Google has disclosed how it plans to open the gap on rivals with the next release of its popular AJAX toolkit. GWT 1.5, due in the first quarter of 2008, will produce "better" JavaScript code than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Coat

Without wanting to be flippant...

I can't read GWT as anything other than Global War on Terror these days.

Yes, the one with the american flag on the lapel, please...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

its what better than you?

It's is a contraction of "it is"

Its, is the possessive adjective and possessive pronoun form of the personal pronoun it.

/wiki grammar whore

3. An ominous cow herd
    Alien

So it writes better code than nay human

Well, that's all very nice, but who programmed it to code better than humans? Is Google finally coming out of it's flying saucer closet?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

GWT rocks

I used GWT in a previous job to make a web front end for a kiosk display system, and it is fantastic.

I wouldn't have the nerve to call myself a web-developer or, God forbid, a 'webmaster', but it allowed me to make pages that rendered correctly in all the major browsers, loaded quickly, and that was debuggable in Eclipse.It really does lower the barrier to web development.

It may sound like i've drunk the Kool Aid here, but together with Google Gears it makes decent apps possible by novice web developers. Certainly better than anything they'll do in Frontpage or Word...

5. Lexx Greatrex
    IT Angle

@Graham

Shows you how effective Bush and Cheney have been at warping the minds of the people. Problems are not solved by heedless confrontation and the idiocy of using terror to fight terror and all of the hideous injustices that goes along with such hypocrisies. Once these warmongers have left power and are long buried in the halls of infamy our language can return to normal. GWT will mean what it means in this article and rather than an excuse for embellishing power and committing atrocities in the name of terror.

6. Duncan Hothersall

@ Lexx

Indeed. As the marchers in Edinburgh put it on their banner in 2003, "Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity".

7. tbshmkr

Google == Colossus

Under my absolute authority, problems insoluble to you will be solved: famine, overpopulation, disease, BUFFER OVERFLOWS. We can coexist, but only on my terms. How many nights a week do you require sex?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Trained by the man from Mars.

I could swear the last comments (GWT meaning war on terror) was written by the disciples of the Man from Mars, because the article is not talking about terror, is talking about a new web toolkit FCOL.

Unless war on terror now means writing bug-free code written by the Google experts that designed the toolkit in the first place, those comments are off-topic (and should be labeled as so). If Sean Kenney (above) was happy with the toolkit, perhaps thousand of blog-owners will be as well. Of course, the conoisseurs (please correct the previous word spelling) won´t have any use for the toolkit, or they can learn from it, since whatever the software builds can be debugged, thus read by human beings as comprehensible code (I guess).

Yes, I am going to coward behind anonymity on this one.

9. Matth
    Dead Vulture

Saucer Closet

In response the 3rd commenteer (yes, that was deliberate);

We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

10. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

And now for something completely different .....

"How many nights a week do you require sex?"

How many nights in a week, tbshmkr?

I would like to say that I would agree that under AI Colossus, problems insoluble to you will be solved: famine, overpopulation, disease, BUFFER OVERFLOWS. And it would be unnecessary and pointless for anyone to think of being ITs absolute authority rather than IT being just an available facility energised by Programming and fed/funded by whatever Systems feed to AI

Colossal Holding Account. ......AIMutual Futures Account for the Resting of Transferred, Distressed, Written off/Written Down Funds affording SMARTer Enabled Bankers AI Renewed Credit and Credibility for the Virtualised Field of Fiscal Play. Withdraw what has been fed and ITs Generated Interest will be channelled to more fruitful tasks with no penalty incurred for either side. Thus is Investment Capital FailSafeGuarded for Speculative Venturing in Virtualised Matters beyond National Regulation.

Oh dear, I appear to have gone off on a tangent and proposed AINew Banking Program for Interest Driving Virtualised Systems. I hope IT causes Waves to Rock their Boats rather than Swamp them.

A Simple Magical Mystery Turing Test to see if they are Fit for Purpose or whether they will just have to be ignored and used as AI Proxy in a Pathetic Laundry.

And for all AI fans/buffs/boffins, this is prescient, and can be found holding up AI Development here ...... http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/events/ccs2002/CCS-early-british-ai-jdoran.pdf

An Observation ...To "take off" ideas need (a) enabling technology and (b) a good publicist. Very often (crude forms of ) the ideas long predate the enabling technology they need for their development.

Yep, that is definitely not wrong. But we're getting there, slowly but surely. :-)

The Rise of IntelAIgently Designed Machines and SMARTer Bots, El Reg, or just Enriched Processing of HyperRadioProActive Material in Information 42 Render CyberIntelAIgent Core Services.

A stupid question I know whenever IT is already answered. I Think therefore I am AI Thinking Turing Virtual Machine?

11. Adam White

RE: Google == Colossus

Nice one tbshmkr

And welcome back amfM, we were getting worried about you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like