back to article Counterfeiters told to pay Symantec $21m

Symantec today hit pay dirt, winning $21m damages from the US courts against a counterfeit software ring spanning the US and Asia. Which is nice: in December 2006, the last time Symantec spoke on the matter, the security software firm had pressed for damages of $15m-plus. The judgments were handed down in US District Court in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JeffyPooh

Did the fake copies have as many problems?

http://symantec-sucks.blogspot.com/

2. Shakje

@JeffyPooh

Why does that person have Norton installed in the first place? Why did they have dial-up until last month? My parents aren't exactly technically skilled, but they're getting me to uninstall Norton the next time I'm up (reason being, it's a bastard to get rid of).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

I wouldn't have bought the software if it wasn't a discounted counterfiet, so they haven't lost anything.

</troll>

4. Richy Freeway
    Thumb Up

@ Shakje

It's really easy to get rid of. Google for SymNRT.

You could just email the file over, get them to run it and enjoy the fact that at least Symantec can write a program that actually does uninstall everything they ever made.

It's worth running it through even if you've already uninstalled via add/remove programs, especially if you used the Firewall.

5. JeffyPooh
    Flame

@"Why did they have dial-up until last month?"

Shakje whined: "Why did they have dial-up until last month?"

Grrrrrrr..... They is me. <And you're lucky you're not within reach...>

BECAUSE...

1) The house is 22,500 feet (as the wire wanders) from the closest TelCo central office. Their limit is 20,000 feet. They simply will not provide DSL service to the house; they won't even try. This has been checked, and double-checked, and checked again.

2) The nearest Cable TV line ends about one-mile away. And they have no plans to extend it. So no Cable Internet. This has been checked and double-checked, and checked again.

3) The WiMax precursor system is being installed in the province, but they've skipped over this area for the time being. It might be available here in another year or two. Maybe. Maybe three years. Maybe...

4) Satellite Internet is available, but is not sufficiently attractive. Too much latency, too much money for too little speed.

5) The cell-phone data plans were always MONSTEROUSLY expensive. $50,000 per ONE GB. Seriously. Not even worth looking at...

...until a couple of months ago when they annouced that EV-DO was available AND that they now offered a '$75' unlimited plan.

Once I discovered that this option was available, I jumped on it. As far as I know, it was mere weeks between a practical high speed option becoming available and me grabbing it (pretty darn quick).

After years of dial-up I am still very tender about people's assumption that high speed Internet is available to everyone.

IT IS NOT.

6. Morely Dotes

Counterfeit symantec products?

People actually buy them?

I have *got* to get my counterfeit feces business started!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wait just a minute

Even if they don't pay it sends a message, no it doesn't if they don't pay it sends no useful message whatsoever except were helpless and you're untouchable yeah way to stick it to em.

8. Brian Clarke
    Linux

SymNRT

"You could just email the file over, get them to run it and enjoy the fact that at least Symantec can write a program that actually does uninstall everything they ever made."

Well *nearly* everything, it won't remove PCA for instance. But I agree it is the *only* tool that removes NAV, the uninstaller certainly doesn't!

Buy Kaspersky it's much better. :)

9. JeffyPooh

SymNRT or whatever it's called - also crap

Last evening I removed Norton Internet Security 2007 from my desktop. I tried using the Uninstall feature on the original CD. It locked-up about 10% of the way in (crap).

So I downloaded the latest removal tool from their website (everyone using Symantec products better have a spare PC on standby). The removal tool seemed to work just fine.

To make sure, I rebooted a couple of times, and then ran CCleaner to see what was left in the Registry and so on.

EIGHTY !!!!!!! 80 !!!!!!!!!!

CCleaner found EIGHTY instances of Symantec remnants and left-over junk after an apparently clean run of SymNRT. Since I run CCleaner fairly often, these were not old junk, they were all from the immediately-previous SymNRT run.

It's all on my Symantec-Sucks blog. Screen captures and everything. The link to the blog is in the first comment above.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like