back to article Polyglot worm spreads over MSN

A namedropping MSN Trojan is doing the rounds through MSN Messenger. The IRCBOT-RB Trojan poses as messages containing links to pictures on social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook. Typical come-ons involve messages such as "Wanna see my pictures before i send em to facebook?". Clicking on a link takes users to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Worth

Comments link wrong

Firstly, the comments link points to comments.channelregister.co.uk, which cannot be resolved - I manually edited the URL to get here :) (smartarse aren't I?)

But it still makes me laugh how many people will click on links which they didn't ask for or expect, that come from random "friends" in MSN. These people deserve to have their PCs trashed.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: These people deserve to have their PCs trashed.

Indeed they do, but that's probably not what happens.

If the malware is a half-decent rootkit, the machine is probably *more* secure afterwards than it was before. The new owners probably don't want it to be reformatted, so they will play (fairly) nice with the previous owners files and resources. The dimwit gets a more secure and better behaved box than they deserve and the rest of us get our machines trashed/overwhelmed with spam.

3. Martin Maloney

booby-trapped?

I see, the author of the article forgot to mention that they were photos of topless nymphets, right?

[NOTARY SOJAC]

This topic is closed for new posts.