back to article Critics split over DDoS attacks on Scientology

Websites associated with the Church of Scientology are intermittently unavailable today after an internet activists group calling itself Anonymous declared war on the controversial organisation. In a statement posted via video on YouTube and through various internet sites, Anonymous claimed its actions were designed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

There is no group called anonymous

The group is a merger between the chans including among others 4chan and 7chan. The word anonymous is used to describe anyone from any of the chans, since as the name suggests everything is posted anonymously.

e.g.

"Hey Anon, find this MySpace profile and win 100 internets"

2. Chris Collins

Anonymous is legion

This is just /b/ on 4chan fucking around. They have running memes of Scientology and Ron Paul at the moment. They'll return to ringing up game shops to prebook Battletoads soon enough.

3. Pete

Critics Split

Great time to be an EX-scientologist.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Bad Acid ....... ?

Take a Chill Pill, Anonymous, and/or change your dealer.

Life's too short to waste IT in Attack mode.

And the Alien because they're AESThetans?

5. Jon Pain
    Pirate

The 4-Letter C Word

ooh, you used the dirty C word in that Article, They are the Church of Scientology, not the Cult of Scientology, They get angry about that, even though you are only quoting someone.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lulz

Come on Reg, you can research better then this.

You may receive some truely epic lulz.

7. TeeCee Gold badge

Freedom of Speech.

....has to be the worst enemy of Scientology. Let 'em say what they want. Anyone listening would have to be a right proper wingnut to take any of it seriously.

Having all the real hardcore teapots in one handy ignorable place is actually quite a sensible idea.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

It was the psychiatrists.

Obviously. And the Church declared war on them first.

;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aviod copyright...

Just refer to them a the Church of the Land of the Fairies.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

"...Church of Scientology... criminal organisation... designed to abuse people."

I don't agree with Anonymous' use of DDOS attacks, but hey, I can't stop 'em... and if anyone had to be DDOSed, I suppose you couldn't find a better and more worthwhile candidate. Why don't hackers, spammers and virus writers contribute to society like this more often? I'm sure they'd get a lot more support that way...

11. Steve Roper
    Flame

Freedom of speech

While I understand and agree in principle with free speach meaning allowing even those you disagree with their say, society as a whole MUST impose limits. Perhaps the best known example of this is the statement "The right of free speech does not carry with it the right to shout 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre."

By Andreas Lund's argument, confidence tricksters and fraudsters would be protected in their false and misleading claims by the "right of free speech". A health-product vendor could falsely claim that some magic herb he sells cures cancer, and be protected in this claim by the "right of free speech". Obviously, for our society to function, we have to draw the line somewhere.

It has been demonstrated many times - Mr. Lund even admits it himself - that the CoS is a criminal and fraudulent organisation whose activities have destroyed lives and families. The legal system has proven powerless to destroy this organisation. Why the CoS hasn't been branded as a "terror group" or simply outlawed as a crime syndicate by now is beyond me.

Since the governments of the world are not doing anything about this obscene cult, it falls to We The People to take matters into our own hands. This is what Anonymous have done, and I fully concur with their actions. This isn't playing into the CoS's hands. It is doing something serious about ridding our society of an insidious and poisonous social disease.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Don't descend to their level.

I'm with Andreas Heldal-Lund: it's counter-productive.

Not least because it's the sort of thing they would do.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Steven Hawking Vrs Scientology

I would be well scared if Steven Hawking showed up at my door with those threats … you go get them Steven! They will make movies from this … Tom Cruise could play a crazed psychotic midget actor who’s been brain washed by the cult.

14. Smell My Finger

Vigilantism is no defence

The Church of Scientology may be a bunch of litigious wankers but you can't defend your right of free speech by taking someone else's away. Tom Cruise is the best thing that ever happened to those aimed at stopping this plainly dangerous cult, it's probably better just to let the former Mr. Kidman just keep talking bollocks and he'll do the job for you. But we can't turn into vigilantes however tawdry our system of justice is, it's still better than lynchings.

15. Julian Cook
    Jobs Horns

is this not a cult

I thought that there was only a few countries that recognised it as a religion, all the others class these loony’s as a cult. Has no one seen the documentary on Scientology or was that just a episode of South Park.

16. Andrew Thomas

Bunch of nutters (I'm not talking about the Scientologists ...)

This "Anonymous" group sounds lilke a bigger bunch of nutters than the Church of Scientology. I agree with Andreas Hendal-Lund: Anonymous denial-of-service attacks are only going to make people sympathise with the Scientologists.

Frankly, give me a Scientologist to an anonymous denial-of-service hacker anyday, thank you.

17. Richard Hibbert
    Coat

WE DO NOT FORGIVE

WE ARE ANONYMOUS

WE ARE LEGION

18. Richard Hibbert
    Joke

Damn...

Forgot to tick the 'Post anonymously' button...

19. jason

Freedom of Speech has limitations

Whilst ‘Operation Clambake’ may be in agreement with old Voltaire quote (i am not even gonna bother repeating it, we all know it), freedom of speech has limitations and should not be used as a ‘get-out-of-everything’ card, $cientologys use of ‘freedom of speech’ has ensnared thousands of vulnerable people, who have been scammed out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and have had their lives ruined; the financial loss to the CO$ victims is the amongst the lightest of effects it followers have suffered.

I fully support Anonymous in their attack on this repugnant cult, and only hope that the CO$ are put through the same stress, worry and loss, their victims have been.

Basically, f*** ‘em.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC1

Wrong

It doesn't just include the Chans.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC1 again

also there is only one board where everything is forced anon from what I recall.

22. Francis Litterio
    Flame

Shouting fire in a crowded theatre

Steve Roper wrote: "[...] society as a whole MUST impose limits. Perhaps the best known example of this is the statement 'The right of free speech does not carry with it the right to shout 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre.'"

Unless, of course, there's a fire. This may be such a case.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you live by the sword

.............. I'm sure you know the rest.

24. Peter Leech Silver badge

Re: Critics split over DDoS attacks on Scientology

Actually, if you take a look at the website in the article it says the DDoS attacks have done the job.

>Stop DDoSing! CoS and major media outlets are aware of the situation. Begin bumping Digg, Youtube, Google, etc. Generate and send press releases and letters to media. Conduct PR campaigns in online and offline media. Use the information and resources to craft arguments for the downfall of CoS. Correct media and CoS errors/rebuttals. Generate mainstream negative attention towards CoS.

I do think they have more in mind than constant DDoS attacks.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey..

Too many people here are forgetting rules 1 and 2.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

DDOS

Is that why Telstra UK's routing was down for two hours this morning?

27. J-Wick
    Paris Hilton

Screw Rules 1 & 2...

I want Rule 34!

Paris cos she made her own...

28. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: If you live by the sword

@Anonymous Coward

".............. I'm sure you know the rest."

Yes, i know that one!

"If you live by the sword, make sure that you get a really nice sword."

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a raid

Also as long as nobody mentions HQ it's fine.

30. Richard
    Pirate

Voltaire

Could it be that Anonymous are just paraphrasing a different quote pour encourager les autres?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous

Is actually ebaumsworld.com

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: There is no group called anonymous

Sigh... rules 1 and 2

33. Anonymous Coward
    Go

LOLONEELEVENTY!!

they only did it for the lolz

34. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well done

AmanfromMars made a funny!

35. Daniel Wilkie
    Black Helicopters

I've obviously been around computers too long

Everytime I see CoS I think of Cult of Sirius, of XCom3 fame...

Black Helicopters because if it was set today, thats what XCom would travel around in...

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Definition of a cult

A religious organisation that you have to be an active member of in order to follow the religion.

Splitting the CoS down the middle into the Traditional CoS and the Reformed CoS would do a lot of good for the religion but sadly it would be blocked by copyright law. Imagine if the Bible were suddenly copyrighted to the Catholic church.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

People in glass houses..

Such groups as CoS are allowed to fester away because those who wield power in our UK/US societies don't want to have to try and explain in public the difference between their religeon and a load of made-up hokum used to control the weak-willed.

It's all bullshit but those who profit from bullshit will be reluctant to condem someone elses in case their house of cards collapses along with them..

Number of real wars started in the name of Scientology.. none as far as I know.

Number of real wars started in the name of Christianity.. I've lost count.

They won't want people thinking about that too hard will they?

38. Mark
    Paris Hilton

Re: Freedom of Speech

Unfortunately, this idea is buggered up by solicitors. If you can afford an expensive enough solicitor, you can silence anyone by taking them to court. Heck, EUCD/DMCA specifically give you rights to avoid the cost of a solicitor.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

All I need to know about Scientology I learnt from South Park and,...

if Xenu has enough technology to design spaceships that look like DC-10s and soul catchers, then the Scientologists must have mastered the concept of a packet-switching network (like in "Independence Day") and DDOS attacks should be the equivalent of a fly to be swatted away with impunity.

(Unless, of course, it is all bunk!)

40. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@AC re living by the sword

Does this mean that the CoS will die by the finger?

*Ahem*, just before I get my coat...

I agree with what the Annonymous legion are up to from one point of view, because if governments will not fight the evil of cults, then perhaps these virtual vigilanties could shut down the marketing capabilities and online payment facilities of these cults; thereby protecting depressed yet hopeful innocents from being turned into brainwashed cash cows or sex slaves.

Granted the 'legion' may not actually be able to do much because they are only attacking on online prescence with a DoS attack, and not for example, hacking in and spreading about all of their secret information all over social sites and the rest of the internet.

Yet, if they did, it could be no more illegal or morally incorrect than the UK government giving away tens of millions of personal data files and even hundreds of top secret military files etc to foreign organisations, or letting it get lost in the post, or letting it get nicked out of cars (complete with a hard disk which contains unencrypted data which was deleted but perhaps not overwritten).

41. Sean Ellis
    Black Helicopters

Dumb move

As others have said, dumb move. First, DDoS attacks are illegal, no matter who the victim is. Second, you are just handing the clams an enormous stick to beat you with.

Scientology loves publicity, it loves to play the persecution card, it loves to have someone to attack, and more than anything it loves to have someone to sue (search for the name "Keith Henson" if you think I'm not serious).

Instead, fight back by urging people to take a look at www.xenu.net.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

two thumbs up!

Considering the church was created by a B grade Sci-Fi author I'm surprised so many people are duped into it. Bout time someone chose to act as a balance.

Based on the behavior of the Church of Scientology I think it's only fair a counter group respond in just an immoral way. Get what you give.

As soon as anyone is in fear of saying what they feel the line has been crossed and something must be done about it!

I wont pretend to be the one to decide just how that should be done. After all a super power with a great deal of money, power and resources behind it, has failed to answer the question itself.

From their point of view; Church of Scientology should chill out and enjoy the fruits. The antagonistic behavior is only going to make their own lives harder.

(To The Register, I hope you don't start omitting material because of pressure from them.)

P.S. I wasn't too keen on Tom Cruise since he joined, but this recent (dodgy) interview (for me) has put him in the same list as Michael Jackson, and Hitler and the like...

43. Bill Coleman

xenu.net

All the denial of service crap is only advertising the scientology website. they would be FAR better off with a co-ordinated google-bomb attempt to move xenu.net to 1st position in the google search rankings for the word "scientology". Most webmasters would lend a hand with that, I think - posting a pre-formatted page linking the word scientology to xenu.net somewhere on their sites. I know I would.

And ok, for laughs then maybe a couple of xss redirects if they could find a vulnerability ;)

44. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Re: "If you live by the sword "

... you don't live by the plowshare?

45. DirkGently
    Coat

Re: If you live by the sword

... make sure you don't trip over it?

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For anyone still wondering...

Here's the definitive pocket-sized summary of Scientology:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4572326307756845678&q=south+park+scientology+youtube&total=50&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

South Park - it is educational!

47. Bounty
    Coat

Anonymous

I wonder how much it costs to join Anonymous. Where do I send my check?

48. amanfromMars Silver badge

Sadville?

"Imagine if the Bible were suddenly copyrighted to the Catholic church."

Do the Catholic church use the modern Bible or have they another version of it or another Book altogether? Just asking because Tony boy fancies it.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: Definition of a cult

A religious organisation FULL STOP

50. Robert Belcher
    Go

Anonymous

What the hell is it about Scientology that gets up everybody's nose? Are these fringers murdering people in the streets; stealing babies; putting saltpeter in our drinking water? Why do an equally silly bunch of fringers think they are a threat?

I want answers now!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.