back to article HMRC lifts fine threat for late tax filers

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs will not fine anyone who got their tax filed over the weekend - even though they missed the official, extended deadline. A spokesman for HMRC told the Reg: "Anyone who was unable to file online because of some isolated problems Thursday and Friday will not be fined if they filed over the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

heh

1337, isn't that so cool!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"isolated problem"

Must refer to each individual who experienced it...

3. Pete James
    Gates Horns

Cowley

I'm waiting for a penalty notice to arrive. Then I can send them back a copy of the letter from them telling me not to fill a form in, followed by the one reminding me to complete and return the form.

Cretinous, grasping, children-of whores!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Taken in isolation

I think they mean that the problem was mainly to users that live in the isolated United Kingdom.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

A Big Con

This 'big concession' from the Revenue was announced over a week ago. Suddenly they revamp the news (which applies in this way each year) as though they're being understanding after all - a Big Con

6. Tom Chiverton

"isolated problems"

isolated problems that only ever happen on the same day every year ? Odd that...

Are they still printing out all the web submissions and retyping them ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

if you 45|< |\/|3...

"1,337 got the site to work successfully on Sunday" - so I think we all know who is to blame, some 1337 script kiddies who don't 5ux0r in the slightest for trying to make us miss deadlines....

Either that or it's Aliens... annoying, 1337 aliens.

8. Spleen

"isolated problems"

I'd like to see governments use this phrase in their non-apology apologies more often.

'The US Government today acknowledged that there had been difficulties in the reconstruction of Iraq. It confirmed that over 1 million Iraqi citizens had experienced "isolated problems" which resulted in them being shot or blown up.'

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

How to file a tax return through a blocked letterbox

Yep, that's what I found, at 17:02 on Friday. Outstanding.

The HMRC "helpline" did at least help me locate an office with a known working letterbox. No, really. It was only 20 miles away.

Paris, because she could run HMRC's IT better than they could. She may suck, but at least you'd enjoy it...

10. James Pickett
    Thumb Down

Numbers

"1,337 got the site to work successfully on Sunday"

And the rest?

11. Andrew Meredith
    Black Helicopters

Failing for a week plus

I had been trying to do my SA over 3 days aout a week before the deadline. I would get part way through and would press "Continue" to be greeted by a failure screen. No amount of reloads would do it. I would have to go back and restart and double check that the pages I had done had taken as some of the data had changed in transit. So, either they knew about this or they didn't. If they knew then they lied, if they didn't then they are incompetent. Take your pick.

This topic is closed for new posts.